Fishing knots

F
fishtales
I'm curios to know what everyone else uses when it comes to fishing knots. For me it is usually a trilene knot. It is the easiest one I know and the only one beside the more difficult fly fishing knots.

Palomar whenever possible, otherwise improved clinch since it's second nature.

There are better ones, but I know these in my sleep, in the dark.

i like to use the improved clinch it is eay to tie, and a strong knot.

I use XP tuff line so palomar. when tying on leaders inproved clinch has never failed me.

Last edited:
Clinch, Not the improved clinch, The clinch.

Depends on what I'm tying on. I usually use the FishNFool knot or the palomar. I know those like the back of my hand. And since I've learned the fishnfool knot, I haven't lost anything due to a broken or undone knot.

autofisher said:
Depends on what I'm tying on. I usually use the FishNFool knot or the palomar. I know those like the back of my hand. And since I've learned the fishnfool knot, I haven't lost anything due to a broken or undone knot.

If its not a specific need, I go to the improved clinch knot. I'm still learning most of the others and need my cheat sheet, so things like egg loop, snells, are done at home in advance.

Oops, I didn't mean to click on "quote".

Last edited:
anyfishisfine said:
palomar whenever possible, otherwise improved clinch since it's second nature.

There are better ones, but i know these in my sleep, in the dark.

this :d

I use a clinch not for pretty much everything. But when I'm drop shoting or using braided line the polymer knot. I use the polymer not when bass fishing too. Some one told me it can give your lure a more eradic action.

I alternate between improved clinch (can tie this in my sleep unless my hands are acting up), and the fish-n-fool knot. I tie the FnF knot up in advance though because i know i can't do it with cold, aching fingers.

If you keep practicing the fish n fool knot will be easier even in cold conditions. Its just a confidence thing as it took me awhile to commit to the fish n fool thinking I could tie others faster, well know its a no brainer, fish n fool is much faster and easier to tie! :D

When my hands arent acting up i can tie knots with no problem...its when they get cold and the arthritis kicks in...

Yeah im young for having it, i messed myself up pretty good playing HS football trying to get a scholarship (turns out nobody goes out recruiting lineman from small schools).

More knots

More knots

I'm more familiar with the Trilene. Check out the link. It shows them all.

The Palomar Knot

steelhead_stalkers said:
If you keep practicing the fish n fool knot will be easier even in cold conditions. Its just a confidence thing as it took me awhile to commit to the fish n fool thinking I could tie others faster, well know its a no brainer, fish n fool is much faster and easier to tie! :D

Practice makes perfect. I can finally tie an egg loop without using up your bandwidth every time.

Improved clinch and trilene are the same I think.

Put the tag through the eye twice to make a loop, then wrap the tag around the leader (or main) 5 times, then back down through the loop. Correct for both? good. ;)

Easiest for me too.