Fishing for summer steelhead on the McKenzie just below leaburg dam

N
NoFussFishing
I have a few buddies wanting me to join them Saturday morning bank/chest waders fish for Steelhead just below Leaburg dam. I'm chewing on it but have a lot going on and curious if anyone has been fishing up there or know what the fish counts have been, river level is it chest-wadable? Worth the trip?

I know, I know, a slow day of fishing beats a fast day of work. (born to fish, forced to work) :)

D
DYJ
There's been fish gettin caught up there for over a month, I'd go.

R
randomschmoejoe
I've hooked a couple in the willamette just a turn or two downstream from the confluence with the mack. A friend hit the pressure hole the other day and said their was a total of nine caught while they were there.

T
Tred
It will be a zoo up there Saturday, but its better than sitting home. I personally live really close to the dam and I check it out to see whats going on. Nothing is impossible but catching a steelhead will be slim at best. There will be a couple caught like every opening day.

J
JeannaJigs
There's fish all throughout the willamette and mckenzie. I hooked up in town last week and lost it right behind the boat. if you want to know fish counts, google "willamette falls fish counts" and there's a link for the 2013 counts. Those fish get divided up into 3 systems. More fish go up the santiam system than the willamette and mckenzie however. If you don't mind people, the meat hole at leaburg isn't too bad. I've kinda become a people hater though and haven't fished the banks up there in a couple years. God bless boats.

J
joem
randomschmoejoe said:
I've hooked a couple in the willamette just a turn or two downstream from the confluence with the mack. A friend hit the pressure hole the other day and said their was a total of nine caught while they were there.

i was up there that evening and there was no blood on any of the banks, and i fished it all so either no one bleeds there fish anymore or you got told a story. dont get mad at me now, like some other people do. haha i have done good this year and 9 in a day is possible but unlikely. my dad floated friday and nothing and didn't hear of anything. he was alone and he needs me around to catch fish ;) haha but i dont think its worth it unless youre close or have all day to fish.

B
bran_man
JeannaJigs said:
There's fish all throughout the willamette and mckenzie. I hooked up in town last week and lost it right behind the boat. if you want to know fish counts, google "willamette falls fish counts" and there's a link for the 2013 counts. Those fish get divided up into 3 systems. More fish go up the santiam system than the willamette and mckenzie however. If you don't mind people, the meat hole at leaburg isn't too bad. I've kinda become a people hater though and haven't fished the banks up there in a couple years. God bless boats.

Interesting little tidbit off Jeanna post for thOse of you who didn't know: couple years back I asked some of the Hatchery workers about those numbers And they expect only a total of about 15% ... Maybe 20% on a better year, of those fish are bound for the McKenzie....