Fishing for stockers in the winter

N
nativefish
Went out last week and was skunked fishing at Mt. Hood pond. Was considering taking a trip out to benson or hartmond pond with my pontoon. Just curious because I have not done much trout fishing during the colder periods of the year, but do these stocker trout usually die off or become lethargic during the periods of lower temperatures? And any guidance on how to best attract them during periods of colder, colored water during the winter months? Any advice or information would be helpful.

brandon4455
brandon4455
im guessing either the pond/lake is fished out or the fish are very lethargic, if you are spin fishing bait is probably your best option, the fish wont want to move for lures.

troutdude
troutdude
Like Brandon said, they'll be mostly fished out. Might be a straggler or two, but most fish were caught long ago. The ones left will move slowly, if at all. Plunking bait with scent is best.

P.S. Keep checking the ODFW Trout Stocking web page. They'll soon post a new calendar of stocking dates, and where you can go.

N
nwkiller
keep throwin lures!!! go for steelie......they bite lures

H
hunt-fish-trap
isn't mt hood pond limited to kids and crippled people

bass
bass
hunt-fish-trap said:
isn't mt hood pond limited to kids and crippled people

Mt. Hood Pond (Multnomah Co.) • Angling restricted to youths age 17 and under or holders of one of the Disabled Anglers
permits from April 1-Aug. 31.

H
hunt-fish-trap
well I stand corrected. but now know why he didn't catch any fish

J
JHawk
troutdude said:
bait with scent is best.

What brands/flavors/kinds of scent work best? I was at FM and they've got virtually an entire wall of scent-looking stuff.

H
hunt-fish-trap
I use chartreuse power bait eggs with he corn trout scent on them

F
fishingguru
Good call on the chartreuse, I use a nightcrawler with a little ball of the chartreuse over the end of the hook to keep the worm straight. Troll it slow with one or two split shots for weight