First Willamette springer of 2012, when's it gonna be?

H
Herefishyfishy
Last year the first springer on the Willamette was caught on Feb 2. Recently there was a story saying the run was going to be earlier with bigger 5 year old fish. I'm seriously thinking about trying to get the first one this year, anybody here going to be going after them soon?

H
hunt-fish-trap
I dont fish the zoo very often , but if ur gunna do it you might want to start going. there are boats a plenty down there already. there wer 5 on the water in Oregon City yesterday

J
jawjacker
Man when I clicked on the thread it only showed the first half of the title & I thought no freaking way. It is getting time to think about it I guess. Good luck!

N
Noahk
Herefishyfishy said:
Last year the first springer on the Willamette was caught on Feb 2. Recently there was a story saying the run was going to be earlier with bigger 5 year old fish. I'm seriously thinking about trying to get the first one this year, anybody here going to be going after them soon?
You play the lottery too, don't you? :)

More power to you if you want to give it a shot, but between Feb 8th to Mar 13th there were 7 fish caught :) I'd rather wait it out when the odds are a bit better.

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/fish/fish_counts/willamette/2011/11_chs_will_summaries.pdf

H
Herefishyfishy
That part I did not know! Thanks for telling me, I will concentrate on steel!

N
Noahk
Last year was unusually cold though, so maybe if it's a warmer winter/spring they'll show up sooner? I fished sellwood last year in Feburary and it seemed there about about one fished boated a day, for about 20 boats. I'm going to wait until it actually breaks double digits per week :)

B
Boombollie
Where on the Willamette? About what time do they show up near Eugene?

M
mikeredding
Boombollie said:
Where on the Willamette? About what time do they show up near Eugene?

Late April into May

P
plumb2fish
I tagged 20+ Mckenzie springers last year and didn't touch one until May 16th...there were a few before then, but not many....June and July they were EVERYWHERE