First trout on float and fly

A
AK Assassin
Sorry fly fisherman, but I don't even know what type of fly this is. I caught this decent trout right before I went home for lunch. I tried kastmasters, tomas bouyants, powerbait, and salmon eggs with no luck. Noticed a bunch of trout surfacing and tried the float and fly rig with another fly, but didn't catch anything. So right before I left, decided to try another fly, both of which I bought from good ol' Bi-Mart. This guys snatched the fly as soon as it hit the water...cool experience!

• Float and Fly 005.jpg
  • Float and Fly 003.jpg
  • Float and Fly 001.jpg
O
OnTheFly
Nice trout! That fly would be an Adams. It imitates basically a calibeatis adult mayfly and other stuff.

C
ChezJfrey
OnTheFly said:
Nice trout! That fly would be an Adams. It imitates basically a calibeatis adult mayfly and other stuff.

I just can't keep up with you fly fishers and your crazy entomology ways ;)

S
skunk
Nice trout, we aren't that crazy, just buggy!

O
OnTheFly
ChezJfrey said:
I just can't keep up with you fly fishers and your crazy entomology ways ;)

lol! It's all part of the fun. If you can figure out what bug the fish are eating then it makes it an easy choice out of your fly box.:)

troutdude
troutdude
Nice fish.

I have used a float and Woolly Buggers for many years now...and with LOTS of success. It works!

G
GDBrown
It just stands to reason, if you put what the fish are use to eating in front of them they will most likely eat it. You do the same thing don't you?

GD

E
everett464
That there fly will catch trout in any hatch, on any river, during any month of the year.

We couldn't have guided you any better, if you had asked first. In fact we probably would have given you a whole bunch of information that would have confused and frustrated you. Good on ya'.

Oh yeah... great frickin fish.

A
AK Assassin
It felt really cool to catch my first trout with a fly and I have always wanted to take up fly fishing. It seems so intimidating and I wouldn't know where to start. Feeling that fish strike your fly or lure is just a great experience. Thanks guys.