First time ever using a flyrod and landed 2 fish!

K
Kevinb5688
I just got a fly rod, ( thank you video poker, won 638$ on a lucky lemings bonus), and did ok on the river. I watched hours of youtube videos and practiced in the yard for a few hours with my 80 dollar wind river combo and i was feeling good. I got the the river and had a fish on for a few seconds in the first 15 minutes! That fish got off because i had line in my had and it slipped when i set the hook, lesson learned.
I fished for another hour with no luck and headed down river, felt a tug and set the hook. It was a 6 inch smolt. Lol.
I kept casting and my indicator goes under, set the hook and fish on, it ran straight up river, jumped and got off. Dang
Fished the rest of the day with no luck and on my last cast i was reeling in and wam fish on. The fish went nuts and i found out really fast my drag was too lose. I tightened it up and could finally stop the fish. After a few minutes i got it to the bank, a darker looking ten lb buck. It was not the nicest fish i have ever caught but it was a blast on the fly rod. I let it go real fast and went home.
I still have a lot of practice to do with the fly rod but i can roll cast pretty good and i did get fish. The steeljead may have been dark but out of the 60 or so i landed this year it was the most rewarding for sure.

brandon4455
brandon4455
nice job kevin! you put me to shame! :lol: the fight on a fly rod is a blast inst it? :clap:

S
steelhead_slayer
Wow that is way better than when I first used a flyrod. It took me a long time to catch a fish, and when I finally did catch one it was tiny. Congrads

• phone pics 030.jpg
C
ChezJfrey
<sigh>

People like you, Santiam, waco, and Mad Dog make me, well, inspired and a wee bit jealous ;)

K
Kevinb5688
steelhead_slayer said:
Wow that is way better than when I first used a flyrod. It took me a long time to catch a fish, and when I finally did catch one it was tiny. Congrads

My first was tiny too, a little 6-7 inch smolt. Lol. I did get a big boy thought.
Watching youtube videos helped a lot for learning to cast a fly rod. I would watch one, go outside and try it, then when i messed up i would watch another one and try again.
Roll casting is also a lot eaiser on the water. When my rod could load a bit it helped a lot. Im only good out to about 20 feet, then it starts to pile up a bit. Lol.
But if yiu could master fly fishing in one day it wouldnt be fun. My next goal is a 5 lb bass on a dry fly or frog pattern. You bet i will have pics of that!

S
steelhead_slayer
not seeing you cast its hard to give advice, but try stopping the tip of your rod higher in the air and it may get you out there a little farther without the line piling up on you

D
dtikey
awsome man good job!!!

J
jawjacker
Congratulations on breaking in the new fly rod that's awsome. Some day I would like to get into a little bit of fly fishing but I can't even keep up with all the gear I want to buy and try.
My next goal is a 5 lb bass on a dry fly or frog pattern. You bet i will have pics of that!
I'm sure you already know but some where on another thread I read somthing about some awesome bass lake that's fly fishing only in central oregon some where. lol! Check out this sweet youtube video. [video=youtube_share;-r36RIGwVXU]http://youtu.be/-r36RIGwVXU[/video]

W
waco
Nice!! :clap: fighting a steelhead with a fly rod is one of the most rewarding feelings in the world!! Congrats!

Gunga
Gunga
golly my first fly caught fish was a 6 inch bluegill from hagg. if fought like a bull though. Nice fish man im really jealous lol.

Reactions: waco
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Totally green with envy here!! :shock: :lol: Great job getting out there and just doing it! :clap:

troutdude
troutdude
Hooking fish on your first outing, is a feat in and of itself. But, landing one is even more remarkable. NICELY done!