First salmon

Echskech
Echskech
I wanted to give a big shout out to all the contributing members of OFF. I've combed this site for fantastic information over the last few years and it's all culminated in my first salmon hook-up on the fly. Hell yes!

• 123_1(6).jpeg
  • 20211101_171809.jpg
Reactions: rogerdodger, Artwo, troutdude and 5 others
Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
Rad! I always love fish pictures where people actually look happy to be there.

Also, nice your first was a wild fish. That would be a thousand times more meaningful than a hatchery fish, to me.

Is that a bug you tied? Looks similar to alevin patterns that I see in bins in Alaska, though a lot of those seem to use hot glue for the egg yolk.

Good stuff mate, cheers!

SS

Reactions: Echskech
Chromatose
Chromatose
Shaun Solomon said:
Rad! I always love fish pictures where people actually look happy to be there.
x2

troutdude
troutdude
Most excellent! Congrats!

jamisonace
jamisonace
Nice work. Water looks perfect. I don't know where you are but if you can make it to the Miami this time of year, the chum fishery is a blast from the bank and they love to eat flies.

Echskech
Echskech
Shaun Solomon said:
Is that a bug you tied? Looks similar to alevin patterns that I see in bins in Alaska, though a lot of those seem to use hot glue for the egg.
Those Alaska boys must be on to something!
This was my stab at a clouser style fly. The one that caught the salmon was half purple and white hair with a tight purple wrap around the DB eyes.
After throwing big flies all day and wearing out my shoulder, I finally switched up to this sparse fly and got the eat!

Reactions: Shaun Solomon
Echskech
Echskech
jamisonace said:
I don't know where you are but if you can make it to the Miami this time of year, the chum fishery is a blast from the bank and they love to eat flies.
This was the Kilchis. I'd heard that the chums were around and hot on flies so thats what I thought I'd be targeting. I'll make sure to put the Miami on the list to explore next since I'm really trying to get my Girlfriend into her 1st salmon also.

S
Socaaron
Skating or Swinging?

Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
My experience with salmon is very limited, but after going through various gyrations and failed experiments to try and concoct a hot pattern nobody else was throwing, I came to the realization that those stupid simple “Alaskan guide” type patterns really do work best. They use them for a reason.

The fancy baitfish patterns I came up with looked cool, and the fish in the bays ate them, but when it comes to the fish in the river, super simple has always worked best for me. Ymmv 😅

Reactions: Echskech and jamisonace
jamisonace
jamisonace
Shaun Solomon said:
My experience with salmon is very limited, but after going through various gyrations and failed experiments to try and concoct a hot pattern nobody else was throwing, I came to the realization that those stupid simple “Alaskan guide” type patterns really do work best. They use them for a reason.

The fancy baitfish patterns I came up with looked cool, and the fish in the bays ate them, but when it comes to the fish in the river, super simple has always worked best for me. Ymmv 😅
Comets all day long. Dont know why but they work. The chum will eat the bigger fancier patterns.

Reactions: Echskech and Shaun Solomon
jamisonace
jamisonace
Echskech said:
This was the Kilchis. I'd heard that the chums were around and hot on flies so thats what I thought I'd be targeting. I'll make sure to put the Miami on the list to explore next since I'm really trying to get my Girlfriend into her 1st salmon also.
The only reason I suggest the Miami over the Kilchis is the bank access is better....from what I hear. I like the Kilchis from a boat.