First go...

S
Swamp Puppy
Got some of my stuff last night...more to come. Started making up a few spin-n-glo prawn rigs for steelies. The hook is off angle because the hook eyes are angled instead of straight. don't think that will make a big difference in the end, but new hooks without the bent eyes are on the way in any case. Made about a half a dozen of these in various colors last night...only had to redo 3. lol. (half a dozen sounds better than saying i had to redo 3 out of 6... ;) )

Steelierig.png

L
Left Bank
Nice!!! The best catch is either on the first cast of the day or the first one on a home made lure. Good luck!!!

H
halibuthitman
wow, duck calls...fishing lures... pretty talented guy!

F
Fishtopher
Sweet man!
Couple things burned into my head by valuable input from others and a little bit of trial and error; I try to withstand the urge to put beads on top of the spinning componet of the lure. The water pushing on the bead while the componet is revolving will produce drag on it, and won't spin as free as it could. And once I started twisting both loops, I also started putting a swivel in the top loop of the lure on my spin n glo lures only. Reduces line twist and makes it so I dont have to dig around my gear for a bead chain.

Now youre hooked though, so have fun!!

S
Santiam338
Curious how you are hooking your prawn,or are you just using a chunk of meat??

S
Swamp Puppy
Fishtopher - i eventually plan on using split rings to attach my hooks and also adding a barrel swivel on the eye end as well. both good ideas i picked up from OFF'er advice.

Santiam - well...a little secret i picked up, and i am by no means an accomplished salmon/steelheader at this point, was to run a toothpick down the length of a cured prawn tail to straighten it out and then hook it through the front. the end result is a prawn that will roll sort of like a plug cut herring. that method works ok with bank plunking or back bouncing.

C
crappie1
:wall:Well those are cool. I found out by triall and error that I landed more fish with the spinglow slid on my leader. No leverage for the fish that way. Easier also. Thats just my prefference. No scientific fact to quote.:think:

S
Snagger
That should kill a fish or two.

S
Swamp Puppy
crappie1 said:
:wall:Well those are cool. I found out by triall and error that I landed more fish with the spinglow slid on my leader. No leverage for the fish that way. Easier also. Thats just my prefference. No scientific fact to quote.:think:

yeah, i plan on still running them off my leader when i bank plunk, but those are done so i can put them on when i am back bouncing outta the boat. quick and easy to add that way and i don't have to stop and re-rig or carry a pole specificly for spinglos.

C
crappie1
Makes sense. Do you fish summer Chinook? Sure a nice fish. Good luck with whaterver you use them on.

B
BigMobyTackle
I would fish the crap out of that badboy!

D
Doc Crappie
Looks pretty good to me and I have to agree 3 out of 1/2 dozen really does sound better than 3 out of 6 or even 50% of them

S
Swamp Puppy
got some of my rigs wet last week. no fish to show for it (we did whack a PIG of a steelie on a factory rainbow spinner), but the gear looked good in the water. the blades spun easily and everything ran true. only a matter of time now....