First fish!

P
pinstriper
Not counting the sturgeon I landed years ago, because the guide hooked it and handed me the pole.

Thanks to Tanner, I got my first fish, from cast to hookset to the net ! Had 3 bites before that spit the bead, because I didn't know what was happening and quite what to do ! But Tanner's patience and teaching I figured it out, landed this native, plus a smaller hatchery that I kept and ate (pic to follow).

Reactions: rogerdodger
S
Seahawkfan

Well done Sir!

T
Toyracer38
Congrats! That's a beautiful Native.

rogerdodger
native chrome! excellent...

hobster
Beauty! Another satisfied customer, Tanner's the man!

P
pinstriper
Thanks for the support and encouragement, folks.

Things I learned, and I'm passing these on for other rookies:

1.There's a 4 o'clock in the morning. In my world, 4 o'clock only happens once a day. Who knew ?

2. Whatever "waterproof" gear you have, go out now and buy something better. Today. You can never be too dry in a downpour.

3. You know how most of your knowledge of fishing comes from watching the bass pros on TV on Sunday morning ? Well, it turns out you can't pick up a steelhead by sticking your thumb in its mouth like it's a bass. Trust me on this one.

D
DrTheopolis
If I get up at 4AM, a fish is going to pay for my inconvenience with its life.

rogerdodger
3. You know how most of your knowledge of fishing comes from watching the bass pros on TV on Sunday morning ? Well, it turns out you can't pick up a steelhead by sticking your thumb in its mouth like it's a bass. Trust me on this one.

:lol::lol::lol: I learned a couple years ago that rule applies to fall chinook salmon also...big sharp pointy teeth, ouch ouch...

O
OnTheDrop
You crack me up, Mark. Was a pleasure meeting you. Glad the fish were cooperating, too!

See you for Springers!

P
Pni_fisherdude
Yeah thanks for a great day on the water. I still think Mark is
full of it and that he has caught a ton of fish in his life time. Also wanted to say thanks to Josh for handing me the rod and letting me catch a nice native. Maybe next time this crazy Micronesian will bring his handline. Hopefully this link works. It should be of my baby marlin that I caught on a handline.

https://m.facebook.com/115299091883...1427063400./120684441344864/?type=1&source=42

O
OnTheDrop
Awesome dude!

P
pinstriper
Oh, and what's this I see in the ad for that driftboat in the "Sell" section, where it had a propane heater ?? Dude !

P
pinstriper

I don't think you are remembering the multiple times I almost took your eye out while casting with the bail closed, nor the buzzing sound that braided line makes on the way off the reel when it's in contact with a dude's head.

But I thank you for the excellent company and your patience and forbearance, and take your incredulity as a compliment that I didn't TOTALLY embarrass myself. Next time you get the starboard seat.

Hooked Up
Nice looking fish, from earlier posts it sounds like you guys had way too much fun.

E
eugene1
Good job Tanner and pinstriper!

Great to see an angler in the making (and a steelheader at that)!

P
pinstriper
Good job Tanner and pinstriper!

Great to see an angler in the making (and a steelheader at that)!

When the student is ready, the teacher appears.

J
Jdangler xD
Nice fish! Keep up the nice work

D
DrTheopolis
Oh, and what's this I see in the ad for that driftboat in the "Sell" section, where it had a propane heater ?? Dude !

Looks to be a Clackacraft from the pics.

Propane heaters + fiberglass (aka "hottub") boats = No Good

P
pinstriper
Looks to be a Clackacraft from the pics.

Propane heaters + fiberglass (aka "hottub") boats = No Good

All I know is I was near hypothermic, and I would have felt even worse if I knew some guys have propane heaters !

O
OnTheDrop
Damn buddy, making me feel bad. You'll never be in a boat of mine without a heater again, bud!