Finally got a steelhead after 5 week skunk

S
Silvers&Steelies
Been losing fish or not being able to fish on good days. Today was looking the same but ended well. Started out hooking a big one and fighting for about 10 minutes. Finally got a glimpse if it but couldn't ID if it was a hatchery fish or not. It took off really hard and popped off the hook about 20 feet from me. Second missed fish was a smaller one probably 24 inch range. Got it close to the bank and it started rolling when I was about to pull it out of the river and popped off my spinner. Saw 2 guys catch keepers close to me and then I finally hooked a nice fish. 33 inches 14 pounds. Great fighting fish took off on me about 4 times and made my reel sing. Finally landed and put a fish on the tag. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics.

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
Reactions: rogerdodger
B
billfisher
very nice!

S
Scott M
Great pics....

Congratulations!! Beautiful Chromer!

E
eugene1
Good lookin fish! Persistence pays off over time...

S
Santiam338
Dandy...

Congrats

T
Tacomasteelheader
should of cut the gills out to make the bleed out better for the eggs, if there's a hen.

S
Silvers&Steelies
Thanks guys. I cut the gills and it was a nice hen. Got plenty of eggs now just in time for Springers. I gotta say this is the biggest hatchery fish I've landed. Almost called it quits too before I got it.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Silvers&Steelies said:
Been losing fish or not being able to fish on good days. Today was looking the same but ended well. Started out hooking a big one and fighting for about 10 minutes. Finally got a glimpse if it but couldn't ID if it was a hatchery fish or not. It took off really hard and popped off the hook about 20 feet from me. Second missed fish was a smaller one probably 24 inch range. Got it close to the bank and it started rolling when I was about to pull it out of the river and popped off my spinner. Saw 2 guys catch keepers close to me and then I finally hooked a nice fish. 33 inches 14 pounds. Great fighting fish took off on me about 4 times and made my reel sing. Finally landed and put a fish on the tag. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics.

wow, look at that chrome, those pictures are GREAT! :cool:

J
jabs67
Awesome steel!!!!!! Great job. :cool:

R
rippin fish lips
Nice bright fish you got! What size of spinner, color, and how were you retreiving your spinner/presentation? Close to the bank, middle river, far bank??

Hook it on the swing?? What was the water like, clear, off color, green?? how high was the water? 4-6'?

Were you fishing a tailout, boulder pockets, or a fast shoot where fish get funneled when on the move??

Those are things i have been paying attention to this year while on my winter steel quest. I take all those into consideration for every trip i go on, then link it all up to water level/clarity/speed, and start over the next trip.

So far it's been working pretty good for us.

And this is the stuff i like to hear from other people who are into (spinner fishing) for steelhead. Good info for me, good info for you (too look back at), and good info for others who are just learning. I have gave up some pretty good tips on when and how i hooked my fish. Lets see what you got (tips) for what helped you find this fish/get the fish to strike. PLEASEEEE :)

Thanks, Tanner. Just want to know what you did to entice the fish to strike.

Last edited:
hobster
hobster
Nice fish! Way to end a skunk with a beauty.

S
Silvers&Steelies
Only hooked the second fish that popped off a #3 blue fox. The yellow one I've heard some people call it the Michael Jackson on here. I got the fish pictured with a pink jig. The one hooked with the spinner I was trying in a deep hole that can be snaggy but would cast up river and wait for the first bounce off the bottom then reel in slowly. Usually get coho this way but tried it for a little bit and pissed off a steelhead that bit it.

T
Thuggin4Life
Nice Fish! And tanner u need to tighten up lil homie and chill out. might as well ask to him to go fishing with you and take your rod from and do it for you lol jk man but man thats a lot of questions. get at me sometime and lets do some fishing i got lots of time and very little ways to get out and do ****.