Fighting bass and mother nature in December!

bass
bass
Most Featured
I hit the Columbia on Saturday the 13th. The wind forecasts were calling for light winds. That was a lie. I think meant to lure me out into that mess.

The day started out pleasantly enough, there was only a light breeze and soon after I launched I saw a head pop up, an otter! No, 2 otter, 3 otters, 4 otters, 5 otters! I guess it was family day for the otters. We stared at each other for a few seconds and then they went on their merry way.

By the time though that I got to the first, supposed to be, good spot the wind was blowing pretty good. Makes it tough to fish deep and slow when there is wind, waves and a stiff current. Did I forget to mention that Stevenson, WA had received over 7" of rain earlier in the week. So it was wind, waves, current and dirty water. Not the best conditions.

I carefully fished that spot - which had been producing great all fall but could not get a sniff. The next few spots were the same. I was starting to wonder if I had seen skunks swimming or otters! Finally after about an hour I felt some weight as I lifted my drop shot off the bottom. Woo hoo, fish on!

I carefully fought and landed that fish and was hoping that I had found a bunch of them - I had not. I spent about 15 more minutes on that spot before moving on. The next few spots were also dead.

I finally had made my way downstream about a mile from the launch to a spot were a huge rock sticks up off the bottom a good 5 or 10'. I figured that should make a nice current break so I carefully would pedal myself upstream from it so that by the time my drop shot got to the bottom I would pass over this rock. It is not very big around so it takes a bit of precision. On my 2nd or 3rd drift I felt some weight and bam! I had fish 2 on. It put up a decent fight in the 50F degree water but I soon had my net under fish number 2. A few more drifts proved fruitless so I switched to a Ned rig.

On my first cast I felt a thunk and had fish number 3! A couple of casts later I felt another thump but I missed that fish and reeled up my TRD all balled up on the Ned head. By now the wind had picked up in earnest and waves were breaking over my bow as I tried to fish. I had to be very careful not to get turned sideways or it would be dump city.

After a handful of empty casts I thought perhaps I should all it a day as the wind kept getting stronger and the waves bigger. To give you an idea I would drift 2.5mph downstream if I stopped pedaling. I realized I had better head back to the ramp and either fish close by to it or just call it a day.

That was a painful slog upstream, waves were quartering my direction and breaking over my bow and trying to twist my sideways. It was a bit of white knuckle trip back to the ramp. I could only go about 1mph into the wind, waves and current. It took me almost an hour to make a trip that usually would take between 15 and 20 minutes.

However, about the time I got there the wind died down a little bit. There were still good-sized waves but at least they were not constantly breaking over my bow! I decided I could keep fishing for a bit but just stay close to the ramp. I did that for the next 2 hours without a sniff. However, during that time the wind died down even more.

I could not go about 2.3mph upstream. At that point I made a command decision to head upstream to one of my favorite spots. It is about a mile and half upstream but I figured I could start heading to it and if things got bad the wind, current and waves would just help me get back to the ramp. So I started slogging up stream at about 2.5mph. It took about 40 minutes but I finally got to the spot.

It had been 4 hours since I had my last bite and I was tired and cranky by this point. I started with the drop shot but that was ignored. I switched to the Ned rig and as I felt it tickling the rocks I felt a thump. I set the hook and POP! I broke my leader about a 3" away from my braid. I have to say I had a few choice words to say about that situation.

Well, by the time I retied my fluoro leader and got rigged up again I had drifted downstream about a 1/4 mile. I slogged my way back up and make a cast with the Ned. Once I again I could feel that Ned tickling those rocks and once again felt a thump. I set the hook and it was fish on! 5 seconds into the fight POP!. This time I think I had a faulty knot. I was completely livid at this point and accidentally reeled my braid through the guides - just to increase my aggravation level.

This time by the time I re-rigged I was a good 1/2 mile from the spot. It is hard to thread the braid through the guides when your hands are shaking with rage! I got back to the spot and after a couple of casts I once again felt a thump. This time everything held and I was able to finally land my 4th bass of the day.

I made a few more casts without a bite and by then the sun was getting pretty low so I figured I had better head back. With the wind and current assist though the trip back was a breeze. I was doing 5.5mph without even pedaling all that hard.

So that was my big adventure. Busted my butt all day long for 4 bass. Well, better than getting skunked!

Here is every fish I caught and my video, that starts out with the otters! Hopefully next trip will not be such a challenge!!









 
  • Like
  • Love
Reactions: Snopro, WoolyBugger, troutdude and 3 others
I enjoyed watching your video.
 
  • Like
Reactions: bass
Thanks @Snake River ! I really make the videos for myself so that I can remember how I caught them on a given trip. I am always surprised when anyone else likes them at all. Youtube is just a way to have free cloud storage of videos.
 
Back
Top Bottom