Fern Ridge Reservoir mystery

G
Grifter
Hi all,
I found the carp Shangri-La near Fern Ridge, and I have been busy roping donkeys out there. Yesterday, I saw something that gave me pause: two enormous off-white "orbs" cruising along in the deeper part of a channel. I was elevated and could clearly see that these were fish, and BIG fish--looked like a Maytag washer and dryer set bobbing along the bottom (a little embellishment there). I thought for a minute it might just be the sides of some bigger carp rolling on the cruise, but this was not the case. These were two large white tinted fish.

I guess what I'm curious about: does anyone know if there are buffalo carp (quillback) in fern ridge? I can't think of what else these could have been. I do know, however, that they have become my calling.
Call me..Ahab.

G

Last edited by a moderator:
T
tnffishman
Catfish?

troutdude
troutdude
Piranha?

H
Hawk
Used to be some biggun Crappie in Fern Ridge, till they drained it......:lol::lol::lol:

V
Van
Maybe someone dumped some Koi. Hard to see them as big as you are implying though.

J
john montana
Buffalo and quill back are different species and I don't believe either one exists in or. Could be koi, though they don't usually get that big as van says. Could also be grass carp (white Amur). Lots of grass carp here, but I am not familiar with fern ridge. Grass carp are silvery...more like tarpon than carp in appearance at a distance.

T
Troutier Bassier
Van said:
Maybe someone dumped some Koi. Hard to see them as big as you are implying though.

I second this.

J
JeannaJigs
Lol @ Carp shangri-la. I've seen some big koi in the dam tailout and in that pond at Kirk park, could be koi.

I
igquick
I vote Albino Grass Carp. This thing was so damn white in the water, I didn't even need my polarized sunglasses

Last edited by a moderator:
G
Grifter
john montana said:
Buffalo and quill back are different species and I don't believe either one exists in or. Could be koi, though they don't usually get that big as van says. Could also be grass carp (white Amur). Lots of grass carp here, but I am not familiar with fern ridge. Grass carp are silvery...more like tarpon than carp in appearance at a distance.
Right you are--I got hasty with the quillback reference. This is really perplexing, because the morphology of what I saw suggested a more rotund fish, very distinct from the common carp cruising through the same section of water. I guess it could have been a pair of oversized koi--though honestly these things looked to be on the order of 30 pounds apiece (judged against what I know to be the ~20lb carp in the same area). Really odd.

Reactions: Ikijime
1 nut in the water
Nessie?

Top Bottom