Favorite dubbing?

S
steelhead_stalkers
Whats your guys favorite dubbing for steelhead and trout flies and why?

E
eggs
Ice Dub is nice to give a fly a but of sparkle.. the longer strands can be picked out to give a more buggy look but some of the fibers seem finer or thicker depending on color..

Most of the time I will just cut some off a Hares mask but Hareline for standard traditional flies is used when color is needed..

If I am feeling REALLLLY crazy I mix some Hareline and Ice Dub.. but usually happens after a few hours of huffing head cement.

B
bigsteel
I second the ice dub,,very versatile and looks great when tied up,,.nice flashy appearance

Reactions: OnTheFly
brandon4455
brandon4455
jackasses beat me to it :lol: i blend ice dub and make custom colors for attractor nymphs for trout and steelies. also works for some eggs patterns depending on the length of the fibers in the dubbing. some colors of ice dub have longer fibers in them and they can be tied in almost like a flash material instead of dubbed onto the thread. i bet i could put some ice dub in a small nymph hook and catch trout just with that...best dubbing ever. hare tron isn't bad either

Last edited:
Reactions: OnTheFly
F
FlyBum
What's Dubbing?

Just kiddin. I like Hareline, Spirit River, Natures Spirit, Wapsi, Montana Fly Company, Davy Wotton, a few others, and the stuff that comes out of the drier's lint collector, or what ever happens to come out of the coffee grinder after what ever goes into it is blended and comes out.

It just depends if I'm tying dries or nymphs and what they are.

D
Drew9870
Natures Spirit Lightnin Dubbing, want to try the Ice Dub.

I tie flies made of straight dubbing for stockers, call them Dubsacks.

M
mrlindeman
depends on the water. I dont fly fish for steelhead yet. as is most in this post have never really caught a steelhead on the fly. we just swing and try. anything pink will work hollywood. nothing to complicated. i hear egg patterns, and large soft hackles with pink dubbed thorax and long flowing neck hackles, work well just about any system this time of year if swinging and skating.

Last edited:
S
Sinkline
I don't have a favorite, but I use my stock of real seal quite a bit. I use whatever brand, or type material looks like it will work (color/texture) for whatever fies I am building.

Randy

Reactions: Drew9870