Eat your heart out, John Montana (carp)

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
... just kidding. But I did get to meet this guy today:
6PeosPu.jpg

Pound-for-pound, he put up the best fight of any fish of his size I've ever caught. I wouldn't have a photo of me with him if it weren't for a couple of passers-by that caught the action. They're a tricky bunch, those carp, but boy are they a lot of fun.

W
wozniasm
Joe! You gonna take that from Pinky?!LOL! Seriously, great job PG!

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
Guilty as charged.

EDIT: HAAHAA! I read this on my phone Woz, and thought you said, "Get a job, PG!"

Good times.

Last edited:
J
john montana
Woo hoo! Glad you are getting into them Pinky! Hybrid eater?

I snuck out today as well...found a few myself!

9a972ef3cee014e379ae2043704917a0_zpsc520cc7d.png

T
Throbbit _Shane
I think John positions them funny so they look huge! lol jusk kiddin.

I think I read the answer to this before but do you even cast to small carp John?

J
john montana
They are all fun man! Hah...but I do tend to hunt for big ones.

E
eugene1
Nice fish and come back!

LOL

john montana said:
Woo hoo! Glad you are getting into them Pinky! Hybrid eater?

I snuck out today as well...found a few myself!

9a972ef3cee014e379ae2043704917a0_zpsc520cc7d.png

W
wozniasm
In defense of Pinky :protest:.... He apparently doesn't have to "compensate for size"!:whistle:;)

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
BOOM! Woz knows what's up. I walk right past those elephants to get to the good stuff... the little guys that don't get as much love from the internet. Somebody's gotta do it. ;)

John - yup - another hybrid muncher. And by the way, I'm guessing that you've heard the latest Orvis podcast, but I'd say you should be practicing that autograph of yours. You've become quite the celebrity in these circles.

Glad to see you were able to make it out this week. I'll be doing some trout fishing on the McKenzie river tomorrow and hope to be back after carp later in the week.

So many fish, so little time...

J
john montana
The podcast was great...Adam did a nice job. You going to make the tourney in August? It should be a lot of fun!

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
I'm kind of undecided on that, actually. Contest fishing isn't exactly my cup of tea, but I'm sure it would be a lot of fun.

Question for you - Does everyone just start walking from the same spot and try to stake-out their own post on the water? Being unfamiliar with the area, I would just be concerned about spending all day scouting and trying not to get in the way of other people rather than just enjoying the time on the water and learning a few things along the way.

Can you describe the actual fishing process?

J
john montana
Very, very low pressure deal. Honestly, it will be a bunch of guys talking carp and busting out to fish. Some people will win massive prizes. For instance, the one of a kind Helios 2 goes to the guy that catches the SMALLEST carp. Other prizes for the ugliest, etc. it is set up to be fun first, second, and third.

Shotgun start. Everyone checks in at 0700 and at some point we turn em loose and the only rule is be back at check in time. Guys will drive to the river, ponds, sloughs etc. Kennewick is great because there is so much water around. A quick scan of google earth will reveal a billion shallow river areas or impoundments etc. people will drive out, fish, take photos, and return. The tricities are loaded with carp, everyone will find fish if they just walk around any shallow area they see on google earth.

Totally do it...I am not competing but will be there helping and hanging out. I will probably do a little talk to set us all off and then fish with the orvis guys during the day. Big BBQ, awesome prizes and tons of carp guys around...Saturday night alone will be worth the trip. Orvis put some money into this so the food and beer will be fun, and the prizes are sick.

I can't wait...should be a really fun time. Just go, hang out, fish and take pics. If you win, cool. How can a guy control catching the ugliest carp anyway? Hah

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
Ha! Alright, I'm sold. Just need to get sign-off from the boss. Wish me luck.

F
fishpro123
Where does an 8 pound carp go after you hook him on a fly rod?

Anywhere he wants to.

Lots of fun. Nice fish.

J
john montana
By the way, I am doing a presentation for the clackamas fly fishers tonight. 7 pm at high rocks restaurant. Should be fun!