Dusted off the spey rod

Irishrover
Irishrover
Most of the year I spent gear fishing for salmon down near Astoria. Lots of fun and lots of fish. Now that winter is here and the boat is out of the water I figured it's time to hit the bank and bring out the spey rod. I went down to the Sandy and had a blast. Thank god for muscel memory. The cast were still there it took a few cast to bring it back but they did come back. The other thing that came bac was my fly ....at abouy 500mph. I got the big pink glob of feather that I tied and call a fly snagged in the bottom. I put a very strong effort into popping that thing loose. When it released from the bottom it came screaming right back toward my nose, I dodged and watched that fly sail up steam past my head to where it landed and snagged itself again. I was a wee bit more careful about retrieving the up stream snag!;)

B
bigsteel
Irishrover said:
Most of the year I spent gear fishing for salmon down near Astoria. Lots of fun and lots of fish. Now that winter is here and the boat is out of the water I figured it's time to hit the bank and bring out the spey rod. I went down to the Sandy and had a blast. Thank god for muscel memory. The cast were still there it took a few cast to bring it back but they did come back. The other thing that came bac was my fly ....at abouy 500mph. I got the big pink glob of feather that I tied and call a fly snagged in the bottom. I put a very strong effort into popping that thing loose. When it released from the bottom it came screaming right back toward my nose, I dodged and watched that fly sail up steam past my head to where it landed and snagged itself again. I was a wee bit more careful about retrieving the up stream snag!;)
lonn,I just got my first spey rod,let me k ow when you want to hit the river

R
_RJ_
Glad you were able to dodge that pink missile. I love me some spey rods. Almost all of last year I used a switch rod exclusively. I'm thinking of picking up a 5 or 4 weight spey rod for this summer.

M
markasd
Bought my self a set up to give spey rod fishing a go - love fly fishing steel, now time for some reach.

N
n8r1
bigsteel said:

Nice! I just picked one up last summer. They're a lot of fun even if you aren't catching!

Irishrover
Irishrover
bigsteel said:

So what did you get....what kind of set up?

Irishrover
Irishrover
The thing I like about the spey rod is the fun of casting. I can spend the day on the river without a hookup and still enjoy it. The hookup is gravy. Just watching other folks cast can be a treat. I haven't fished with Ninja in a while but that guy has the most relaxed cast with his switch rod. Seems like the line just shoots off the water and glides to a landing.

Last edited:
B
bigsteel
Irishrover said:
The thing I like about the spey rod is the fun of casting. I can spend the day on the river without a hookup and still enjoy it. The hookup is gravy. Just watching other folks cast can be a treat. I haven't fished with Ninja in a while but that guy has the most relaxed cast with his switch rod. Seems like the just shoots off the water and glides to a landing.
I picked up a 13' Ross reach 7 weight,I'm using my phleuger Trion til I can afford a bigger reel.

O
OnTheFly
Irishrover said:
The thing I like about the spey rod is the fun of casting. I can spend the day on the river without a hookup and still enjoy it. The hookup is gravy. Just watching other folks cast can be a treat. I haven't fished with Ninja in a while but that guy has the most relaxed cast with his switch rod. Seems like the just shoots off the water and glides to a landing.

n8r1 said:
Nice! I just picked one up last summer. They're a lot of fun even if you aren't catching!
Exactly!!! And Jimmy ninja is a spey casting wizard!

N
ninja2010
Thanks for the reminder, Lonn... Guess it's time to dust off my sticks and get back in the swing (hehe, pun intended).

Irishrover
Irishrover
Take your time dusting, you might have a day or to this rain might bring those creeks up a bit!