Dry line winter steelhead hopes and dreams

808steelheader
Hey gang, haven't posted a report here in a while so here goes:

Dry Line steelhead encounters have been tough to come by for me this season so I was pleasantly surprised to encounter the fine specimen pictured below on a coastal Oregon stream on 1/17/14. I started at the upper part of a run with a 5/0 Winter's Hope, but as I got to the lower section/tail out of the run I went to a smaller Winter's Hope tied on the commonly available 2/0 Tiemco 7999 (to avoid getting hung up) and this little buck grabbed in water that I thought was getting too shallow to hold a fish, luckily I was wrong.

This is the first winter steelhead that I've taken on James Reid's 8592 prototype (cane single hander) and I was immensely pleased with the smooth authority, lifting power and sensitivty of the rod while fighting this fish - felt good.

A bright, perfectly formed dry line winter buck (taken on the 8'5" 9wt JM Reid single hand cane prototype, full floating 9wt Ambush, and 2/0 Winter's Hope)and the unexpected opportunity to field test the JM Reid 8592 are dreams come true.

Todd

The Hopes and the Dreams:

• IMGP0837.jpg
  • IMGP0830.jpg
H
halibuthitman
Very nice! I just bought a Campbell 8 wt single hander and can't wait to put a bend in it- Brad

R
_RJ_
Awesome, congratulations.

F
FlyBum
Very cool!! :thumb:

E
eugene1
Gorgeous buck and great accomplishment!

congrats,

808steelheader
Thanks for your comments guys. Brad, is that a cane rod that you have? Should be fun, I never knew cane rods could be so crisp and powerful until I got the opportunity to field test James Reid's prototype.

Todd

H
halibuthitman
808steelheader said:
Thanks for your comments guys. Brad, is that a cane rod that you have? Should be fun, I never knew cane rods could be so crisp and powerful until I got the opportunity to field test James Reid's prototype.

Todd
Yes it is, and it surprised me as well how fast it is, supposedly built on a similar taper to the granger 7 and 7... But it sure feels different to me.. Can't wait to wrastle a steelhead or big rainbow on it.. And later a carp ( I owe john Montana a picture)

808steelheader
halibuthitman said:
Yes it is, and it surprised me as well how fast it is, supposedly built on a similar taper to the granger 7 and 7... But it sure feels different to me.. Can't wait to wrastle a steelhead or big rainbow on it.. And later a carp ( I owe john Montana a picture)

Have fun with that cane rod. Will look forward to your report on how it works for you. I bet you'd like a 8wt Ambush line on it for swinging for steel.

Todd

Top Bottom