Drift fishing rig

brandon4455
brandon4455
hey guys, could somebody post a pictoral, stel by step on how to rig up for drif fishing,not just for me but for everyone cause idk how to do the whole lead,rubber tubing thing thanks,

brandon

C
capblack
slide a snap swivel up your mainline, then small bead, then tie on a barrell swivel, then whatever length and size of leader, i prefer 18 to 24 inches, then i slide my corkie on the leader, then my hook to the end of my leader. this is what i use for drift fishing for steelhead, and i use the snap to attach my slinky. Brian

B
beaverfan
capblack said:
slide a snap swivel up your mainline, then small bead, then tie on a barrell swivel, then whatever length and size of leader, i prefer 18 to 24 inches, then i slide my corkie on the leader, then my hook to the end of my leader. this is what i use for drift fishing for steelhead, and i use the snap to attach my slinky. Brian

What would be the benefit to sliding the snap swivel down your line vs. just using a snap swivel in the first place?

C
capblack
this way the weight slides up your mainline and when you get a bump you can feel it better. this is basically the same setup i use when trout fishing, except i use anothe barell swivel, with a tag line for split shot

T
todd_brooks
Steelhead Stalkers sight has a video that is clear as a bell. Same sliding weight set up as mentioned above.If I was more savvy I could post a link but I'm not so maybe some one else will.

brandon4455
brandon4455
the thing is h dont have imediate access to slinkeis atm. i am using just lead. i was thing about sliding a peice of surgical tubing up the line and then jamming the lead inside it. am hopefully if i got caught up if i pull the lead will come loose and i wont loose my rig.

R
rippin fish lips
brandon4455 said:
the thing is h dont have imediate access to slinkeis atm. i am using just lead. i was thing about sliding a peice of surgical tubing up the line and then jamming the lead inside it. am hopefully if i got caught up if i pull the lead will come loose and i wont loose my rig.

This is how i set up my drift fishing rig when just trout fishing.

Trout: Tie mainline to snap swivil....(let snap part hang lose), tie 18-24" leader to snap swivil with (snap part still hanging loose)....now... on the snap part (thats hanging lose) tie on a tag line, lead ur lead weight and crimp both ends on the tag line, 98% of the time u will lose just ur lead... good way to drift fish for trout.

Steelhead/salmon: i would do it with the slider weight set up.

M
michigan_transplant
Brandon: I do what you were talking about. I leave out the swivel (especially in winter when line visibility is less crucial). I cut about an inch of tubing, slide it up the line, then cut the amount of lead i need to just bump the bottom while going through, and slide that through the tubing so the line is pinched in there in between them. If you use and inch of tubing it won't slide up and down your line when you cast and well stay in place. then i adjust how long i want my "leader" even though it isn't one cause it still mainline, to be. then put the corkie on and tie a snell knot and put your yarn on.

I find that with some rivers and since im not that experienced with driftfishing i was breaking off quite a bit and it would take a while to tie the swivel back on and get another leader. this way is a little faster for me to get back in the water, and still works fine for me.

B
beaverfan
I have a book that I bought last year it's called "Steelhead Drift Fishing" by Bill Luch. If you PM me your address I will send it to you under one condition, once your done with it pass it on to another young fisherperson. It's an older book but pretty much everything is still relevant and was written by a guy who fishes NW Oregon. Let me know if your interested.

brandon4455
brandon4455
beaverfan said:
I have a book that I bought last year it's called "Steelhead Drift Fishing" by Bill Luch. If you PM me your address I will send it to you under one condition, once your done with it pass it on to another young fisherperson. It's an older book but pretty much everything is still relevant and was written by a guy who fishes NW Oregon. Let me know if your interested.

thanks bro! thats awesome pm sent :D

T
todd_brooks
I got a video from the library Steelhead drift fishing with Bill Herzog and Nick Amato. Kind of funny. Good introduction and Bill said that the tubing weight style, your talking about was by far his favorite. He says to only put 3/8 of an inch of the lead in the tubing or it won't slide out when you hang up. So I'd say your on to something. I know I'll be giving it a shot. That book will help you out to, very cool by the way, but there's no substitute for get out and practising.