Doing Lines of Kok(anee) at Lake Merwin

bass
bass
I hit Merwin on Friday the 10th. I got there at 7am and the gate was already open. The first boat was just launching so I think the gate had only opened shortly before that.

I have to say, the water at Merwin is just so beautiful and gin clear. I think in terms of beauty it may be my favorite location to fish. It just feels like such a magical place. Anyway, the fish was really good once I found them. I actually started fishing around 7:30am and caught my first fish at 8:15am. I filled my limit (C&R) by 11:15am.

For my best success was on a homemade pink spinner fly that I tie up. I caught 8 of the 10 kokanee (and one what looked like a baby chinook) on that setup. The other 2 kokanee came on a very simple homemade spinner. Both lures were baited with tuna-soaked shoepeg corn. Both lures were fished behind Arrow flashers. I was letting out 70' or 80' of line and using 2 ounces of lead. I varied my speed all over the map from .7mph to 1.4mph and caught fish at every speed. If I saw a school that was deeper (around 50') I would slow way down to let my lures get down to them. If I saw schools that were around 25' I would vary my speed between 1.1 and 1.4mph. Regardless of speed I always zig zag back and forth to further vary the speeds and depths. Just the standard stuff that everyone does.

After I caught my limit I could no longer legally use corn since WA does not allow even C&R beyond catching your limit (even though I was just letting them go). I did try trolling with no corn for a bit but could not get a bait on an unbaited lure. I was hoping to find out that the corn was not necessary but my first experiment showed that it looks like it is. I will continue that experiment in the future.

Anyway, here is an action shot from the day in the heat of battle :)

Here is a video of the day. I did miss one of the kokanee when I stopped the video while I ate my lunch. I always feel like there is something so compelling about watching a rod go off when trolling!

Reactions: Irishrover and Markk
troutdude
troutdude
Thanks for allowing me to live vicariously again. Looks like fun! But where is Merwin?

BTW...we call baby chinook, at Green Peter, Chinokanee. ;-) (and it's got some that are 10 pounds and larger...I've seen them)

bass
bass
Merwin is in Washington (up I5 and over on 503). It is the closest Kokanee water to Portland. It is about a 1 hour drive.

I like Chinokanee!! I would love to hook a 10lber in the middle of a bunch of 12" kokanee. That would be a blast. I have fished Merwin for a few years and I did not realize it had those Chinokanee in it. I am not sure if that is new thing or not.

Reactions: troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
Ha. I kinda thought it was up north. Yeah another OFFer caught a 10 pound Chinokanee, at GP, several years ago. Watching the video was a hoot; cuz he only had 6 lb. line and there were knots in it!

Reactions: bass
Top Bottom