Does lure color matter underwater?

Troutski

Troutski

Color....

Color....

Hey, whats up Roger. There is a book "What fish see" which was written by an optometrist who apparently went from catching 3 steelhead a year to 300. It deals with the UV lighting underwater. I am gouing to purchase it soon and have a look (no pun intended). Anyone here read it? I imagine colors are not nearly as important as people think though. We, in general, tend to overthink steelhead fishing i believe.

Read it three times and then passed it on... great read..

Chuck

hobster

hobster

Funny this thread popped back up, i just got "What fish see" in the mail 2 days ago with Herzogs Spoon fishing book ( to go with my Jed Davis spinner book). I have yet to read it since i started the Herzog's book but it looks very interesting. Looking forward to it!

cknowles673

cknowles673

Hey, whats up Roger. There is a book "What fish see" which was written by an optometrist who apparently went from catching 3 steelhead a year to 300. It deals with the UV lighting underwater. I am gouing to purchase it soon and have a look (no pun intended). Anyone here read it? I imagine colors are not nearly as important as people think though. We, in general, tend to overthink steelhead fishing i believe.

Dang!! That sounds interesting.

hobster

hobster

It is interesting, although heavy reading, some of it is over my head. It is amazing how much color changes underwater after a certain depth, almost every thing appears to be much darker except pink. Most of my fishing isn't in deep water though

S

Senkosam

Pinstriper said it all with this one statement:
"contrast adds definition to perceived shape and also motion, which are pretty important aspects of presentation."

as did Hobster: " choose lure and color based on past success, vibration is very important, and presentation"

We can obsess all day about color, but color to each of us (especially those color blind) and fish (which may also be color blind for all we know), is different depending on so many factors as defined by the volumes of information posted above and google search definitions. Lure and live bait colors are perceived differently whether in the hand or in water - which is usually less-than-clear - as well as sun angle/time of day, cloud cover, depth, background (as related to the surface, lateral to or the bottom), shade (algae, shoreline trees, docks) and the actual properties of a color.

Then there are mixes of colors that contrast with each other such as is found in patterns and the use of black dots or stripes (see examples below). In soft plastic lures, color flakes are suspended in clear or translucent colored plastic so that brings up the question: what matters - the combination of colors or specific colors?

The nice thing about making and testing lures for over 30 years is discovering that lures that produce consistently usually do well using different colors regardless of background considerations. Lure design: shape, action, the material used to make it and size are primary with color an enhancement of those three as well as motion. When it comes to blade baits or chrome finishes, color is not even a consideration as strobe-like flashes pass by a fish and cause reaction-strikes.

What does contrast mean to fish that survive based on their sensitivity and state of awareness all hours of the day? Color brightness or black certainly contrasts to a background, but what is it about what moving objects do in a stationary environment as perceived by fish? Do certain motions/vibrations and body/tail shape as detected by the lateral line provoke most strikes regardless of color? Moving objects that contrast to a fish's environment are basically stimuli-fish sensitivity correlations just like color brightness or hue.

In each of these examples, which factor was more important as relates to contrast as defined in general:
oG6wcBh.jpg
71gncAD.jpg
5qIufIN.jpg

js01pMU.jpg
rrSjXmw.jpg
XxKq2Om.jpg

Was it the color, lure motion or shape & size or a combination of all that was more important in provoking the strike? All I know is that after catching fish on a lure - whether bought or handcrafted - I make sure I have it and in colors I have confidence in for each.

Last edited:
Top Bottom