do hydrofoils work?

N
ninja2010
i've been thinking about installing one on my 5hp so my little inflatable could plane. right now, even with 2 peeps, it will not plane - even on almost wot, the stern just plows in and the bow reaches for the sky. worse when i'm alone. boat still goes pretty fast but i think i'm just wasting a lot of thrust.

if anyone has input on this, please let me know. thanks in advance.

oh, btw i was looking at the stingray junior...

T
Troutier Bassier
My old boat Did That. My dad took some 20lb Weigghts and put them on the Front of the Boat, Or he made me sit in Front.

N
ninja2010
yeah, i put a 100+ lb person on the front and it still doesn't work...

Chromatose
ninja2010, 30 Bucks well spent in my opinion.

D
Dan Feller
Do you have the motor trimmed all the way down?

N
ninja2010
Do you have the motor trimmed all the way down?

yeah, it's all the way down to the last position of the lock pin (i think that's what it's called). should i remove that pin and have the shaft even lower?

chromatose: it's not the $40... i just don't want to drill the motor to install and find that it doesn't really do squat.

Irishrover
I have that same one on my 9.9 Evinrude. I use it on my 16' Clackacraft. Before I put it on the boat really squated. The more power I put to the motor the more the squat. After I put the hydrofoil on it got a lot better, not perfect but a lot better. I think the 9.9 might be a we bit heavy but yes the hydrofoil helps.

Last edited:
N
ninja2010
thanks, irish... that's encouraging. the same thing happens on my 5 - the more i crank, the more the stern digs in... so if it helps your 9.9, it should work on the 5.

Troutski
Factory equipment..

Factory equipment..

It is my belief that a hydrofoil should be standard factory equipment...I wouldn't run an outboard without one. I guess my vote would be "it is a good return on your investment".

Chuck

F
frodog
I installed one on my 75 horse merc so i could plane out at a lower speed and achieve plane sooner. It slowed my top speed down about 3mph but wow does it have lift now. I dont have to get to unsafe and uncomfortable speeds to get a smooth ride and really leveled it out. Very worth the 29.99 I spent.

N
ninja2010
...seems like the general consensus so far is, "go for it". :think: