Did ODFW stock Canby Pond and Commonwealth Lake week ending 5/4?

J
J4excellence
I checked the Oregon Fish & Wildlife recorded message, but it is only updated through 2:00 pm Wednesday May 1st. They were supposed to drop some fish into Canby Pond and also Commonwealth Lake 4/30 through 5/4.

Is anyone able to confirm if that happened or not?

Thanks

C
chrisohm
Canby was stocked. There was also a huge Cub Scout fishing derby there with many trout pulled from that water. I stopped there with my son, handed out some power eggs and fishing tips that helped get some kids into some trout and my son got his 5 fish limit. They had a fishing derby going on. Tomorrow would be a good day to go as long as you have the right license to fish there, juvie/disabled. There is an excellent morning bite. Afternoon is a little tougher and from about 5pm on it is still good fishing. Aim for the little island. Rainbow dough, green eggs and white eggs were the trick today for many people. Even saw a small catfish caught.

troutdude
troutdude
FYI, when the place I want to fish isn't confirmed as stocked...I press 0 and speak directly with the receptionist. She's really nice; and IF the hatchery worker bees have phoned in...she will have the latest information.

C
chrisohm
That works too!! We started our day at Walter Wirth and kept 2 of the 6 fish. Gut hooked unfortunately. I was informed that Canby was stocked by the ODFW peeps running the family event there and there was a Cub Scout event going on. They do it every year from what I found out. Then we got air plants at Al's in Woodburn and the UVB light in Hubbard to finish off the reptile vivarium today. Stopped off at the pond for some fishing and to help out some Cub Scouts. Being an Eagle Scout myself, I have a soft spot for the little guys! It was crazy! Not crazy like the family fishing event but there were more people there and all over the place. Hopefully they picked up all their garbage. I have a weekly ritual of taking my son there on either friday or saturday. We live close, he gets to catch some decent fish and there is a park he can play on before or after he's done fishing. From April through early June, there is always some decent fishing there. Late June through early April...not even worth the trouble. Too many weeds, it literally chokes out the whole pond and ODFW will refuse to do a fall stocking because the city of Canby is too lazy to clean it out. You can also hit up the Molalla river and some bass ponds in the far back off a trail next to the river.

J
J4excellence
Thanks so much...I get around in a wheelchair and Canby Pond is one of those nice places where I can get right up to the edge of the water close enough to land a fish. I was actually there on Friday morning and caught a few off the bottom with garlic powerbait. My wife and I just polished off a couple 12 inchers for supper that were a result of that trip. They were excellent-odfw must really treat those fish well because they are so fat. I also like to get over to Commonwealth as it has some great fishing platforms that are safe and easy to fish from a wheelchair. Commonwealth is right inside a residential area of Beaverton, so it gets fished out within a week or two of stocking. I've also noticed that Commonwealth fish only bite good early in the morning. The few times I've fished there when 9 or 10 am comes along the bite dropped right off. I think it's super that cities like Canby and Beaverton make the extra effort to provide access for people with disabilities. For me fishing provides a great positive distraction from all the craziness of work and other responsibilities. Thanks again for letting me know about the stocking--I might try to get down to the pond one more time before summer.

J
J4excellence
A couple nice ones from Canby Pond

A couple nice ones from Canby Pond

Well I made it out there early this morning and the weather was fabulous. Unfortunately, the good weather accelerated the growth of weeds and made the fishing a lot more challenging than last Friday. Most of the time it was hard to tell if I was fishing or not because often my sinker and bait were just tangled in the weeds. I did manage to get a few bites using garlic Gulp Alive off the bottom and landed a couple nice ones. I tried a bobber and floating bait on the surface, but no takers.

Canby Pond 05.07.2012.jpg

Overall, though it was a great time at the park. I saw a duck with 15 cute little ducklings trailing along behind her--they were perhaps just a few days old. I'll be back for more fishing at Canby Pond, but it will probably be next year, early in the season before the weeds get out of control.

B
bigsteel
great job on the fish,looks like a productive trip:clap::clap::clap:

troutdude
troutdude
Nicely done J4. The bottom one is indeed pretty plump.

If you aren't already...you could try a sliding/slip bobber and worm or Pautzke's Salmon eggs.

C
chrisohm
Nice job! Glad you had a good time! Did you see any of the Blue Herons or the Osprey there? Sometimes in the far back sections of the park you may get a glimpse of the brown eagles that nest around the area. I setup my son with Garlic power eggs, green or chartreuse. Sometimes the regular white eggs work too. There was some heavy fishing over the weekend with the Cub Scout derby and sunday with that nice weather brought out a ton of people for sure. The weed growth gets worse than that, it will suffocate the pond by July and cover the water surface completely.

J
J4excellence
I saw one of those herons sitting on that island. He looked like he was waiting for something edible to catch his eye. I had what I thought was a hawk take some interest in my second fish as I was about to reel it up out of the pond. That would be a heck of a sight watching your rigging take off up into the air with a hawks claws latched onto your fish I've heard a lot of people recommend floating bobbers with Pautzke's salmon eggs, but I've never had much luck keeping those little red eggs on a hook. Seems like they just break off about every cast or two. I like to have a little confidence that if my rigging is out there, there is something on the hook. Anyway, it must work, because I've heard it recommended a number of times, I would just like to know the details on how to make those eggs stay on. Happy fishing to you and your son. I'll probably try NF Reservoir in a few weeks--it's a bit of a hike, but the fishing is dynamite at times.