Deterring sea lions...

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
with Sea Lion activity and larceny coming up often, thought I would post links on the legal deterring actions under the MMPA. Whether anything can or should be done to deter these fur bags while fishing/boating is a seperate discussion, this info is just what is allowed under the law and what is not.
(FYI- the CA Sea Lion is listed by IUCN as a species of "Least Concern due to a large and increasing population size.")

"The MMPA does not allow private citizens to deter marine mammals from undeveloped property (e.g., a beach) or public property (e.g., a breakwater). Private citizens may deter Pacific harbor seals and California seal lions that are exhibiting problem behavior resulting in, or that could result in, damage to private property, fishing gear or catch."

This PDF from NOAA has the actual methods allowed:

from the top of page 2, what you can do while actively fishing with gear deployed to protect gear or catch:
Visual Repellents/Noise Makers:
• boat hazing, circling
• pounding on hull
• pyrotechnics (e.g., bird screamers, bangers, underwater firecrackers, cracker shells)
• starter pistols
• horns, bells, whistles
Physical Contact:
• slingshots
• non-toxic and water soluble paint ball guns
• non-lethal ammunition (e.g., rubber bullets, sabot rounds, game stingers)

what you cannot do:
Methods to Avoid – The following methods and techniques have an increased likelihood of causing injury or death and should be avoided.
• No Firearms with “live” (lethal) ammunition
• No Devices with Injurious Projectiles (e.g., archery gear, crossbows, spear guns, bangsticks)
• No Sharp/Pointed Objects (e.g., harpoons, spears, gaffs, nail studded bats/poles/clubs)
• No Entangling Devices (e.g., loose webbing, snares, concertina wire)
• No Aggressive Tactile Methods (e.g., striking animals with bats, hammers etc., impact with vehicles or boats )
• No Tainted Baits or Poisons

Reactions: bass
H
Herefishyfishy
Thanks for that! Time to dig out that old 1978 wrist rocket!

bass
bass
Great post! One thing I have read folks using are wrist rockets and paint ball guns with frozen paint balls. I believe that this falls into the OK category.

Personally,if there are too many fur bags around I just move. I have thought about bringing my wrist rocket, but then I figured I would smack the one sea lion who decides that enough is enough and it is time to make an example of people hazing sea lions by chomping on the dude in the little yellow kayak.

O
OnTheDrop
Bringing the wrist rocket out Thursday and Friday! Hell, may even have to dig up the ol' paintball gun. The ratio of these guys grabbing anglers fish is the worse I've ever seen it....

T
troutmasta
Herefishyfishy said:
Thanks for that! Time to dig out that old 1978 wrist rocket!

Im headed out today Dennis the Mennace status

Last edited by a moderator:
T
troutmasta
SteelmonKiller20 said:
Bringing the wrist rocket out Thursday and Friday! Hell, may even have to dig up the ol' paintball gun. The ratio of these guys grabbing anglers fish is the worse I've ever seen it....

MY paintball gun shoots 15 rounds a sec. :shock:

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
bass said:
Great post! One thing I have read folks using are wrist rockets and paint ball guns with frozen paint balls. I believe that this falls into the OK category.

Personally,if there are too many fur bags around I just move. I have thought about bringing my wrist rocket, but then I figured I would smack the one sea lion who decides that enough is enough and it is time to make an example of people hazing sea lions by chomping on the dude in the little yellow kayak.

I am with you on that Bass, I too will soon be spending lots of time in a kayak in saltwater, which means 2 situations: defending your fish and defending yourself....they sell solid rubber 0.68 balls for use in paintball guns, those would fall under rubber bullets and should give them a sting....that might work to defend them being too close while fishing, but moving also seems the best option.

as for defending property (kayak and self), I am pleased to see "chemical irritants (e.g., non-toxic pepper spray, mace) used for animal control" listed as OK.

For many years I have been carrying the big fogging bear deterrent during my wilderness hikes- a 30foot fog/spray of double strength pepper is documented to be very effective against large animals, as a surface and also an inhaled irritant...so I am going to holster one of these in the kayak where it is handy just in case a fur bag gets a little too friendly....

(Side note on Bear Deterrent, which many people have an opinion on it's intended use, this is data from a 2012 paper in the Journal of Wildlife Management:
"133 bear encounters with bear spray: only 3 people had minor injuries, all of the bears buggered off (and probably kept their distance from people for a while), zero dead bears.
269 bear encounters with guns: 17 dead people and hundreds of dead bears. " )

T
troutmasta
rogerdodger said:
(Side note on Bear Deterrent, which many people have an opinion on it's intended use, this is data from a 2012 paper in the Journal of Wildlife Management:
"133 bear encounters with bear spray: only 3 people had minor injuries, all of the bears buggered off (and probably kept their distance from people for a while), zero dead bears.
269 bear encounters with guns: 17 dead people and hundreds of dead bears. " )

Not to Hi Jack but. Agreed!:clap:

Top Bottom