Depth guide for trolling

Being that the pesky kokes are going deeper and I can't afford downriggers is there a guide to know how much weight it would take to get to a certain depth

they make something called a depth of troll, not sure who makes it or where to get one, but ive heard of them. they look at the angle your entering the water at, and the length of line out, and give a good estimate. the best thing to do is get a depth finder, and try to guess where your at, then when you go by the shallows, youll know how deep you are if you touch or not. I think with 1 oz banana weight we were down just under a foot per pull last weekend. The other thing is, dont go too fast, kokes like the speed around .8 to 1.4 or so, and if your trolling to fast, your gear will not be as deep. just keep trying, youll get it, Brian

There has to be a formula that considers amount of weight, length of line out, and troll speed. I just don't know what to do with the variables. Any mathematicians out there???

Other than everything said already. just pay attention to the fish finder and how deep the fish are. pay attention to how much line you are letting out. make several passes over the fish each pass letting out more line until you get one. then you will know how much line you had to let out to get that deep. don't have a finder. just guess at depth and when you start catching keep going to that depth by counting pulls.

yup and i buy the bannana wieghts and take a snap of of a snap swivel and but it on one end of the weight. that way if you have a swivel on your mainline you can swap weights quickly.

all depends on the wieght and speed you kinda have to do your own math in your head and try to to do your best guess by thinking line angles and how much line is out.

This should be a simple a squared plus b squared = c squared type math if the line is entering the water at a 45 deg angle and you have 100 ft of line out you are probably trolling at a depth of 60 ft or so.

Top Bottom