Marine Depoe Bay Fishing Reports

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
A special day for me riding my Hobie Outback and made even better because I started the GoPro just 27 seconds before the take down happened, so I got the whole deal, hookset to chaotic...ahem...textbook netting (isn't any netting that puts ink on the tag a textbook netting?).

The conditions were so good, I went back Monday for another 5+ hours on the ocean and I got to release a wild coho right at the kayak (without touching it) but no other salmon for me, got two large black rockfish and my story is that the lingcod bite was off due to the pair of gray whales (that seemed to be playing hide and seek with me while I was bottom fishing). lol

the take down is about 1:45 into the video and if you love trolling for salmon, well, you know this is what hooks us on chasing these shiny monsters...

Depoe Bay Fishing Reports

Last edited:
Reactions: Casting Call, 305to503fishermen, Markk and 2 others
C
Chuckwalla
I'm totally new to this but I was wondering if having a radio was required in some areas like depoe bay, im guessing it's good to have for safety purposes but just wondered if it was needed for contact with the marina. Sorry if this is obvious just figuring it out. Thanks.

hobster
hobster
Awesome Roger, great vid! Cool as a cucumber as usual buddy, can’t wait for Siltcoos!

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Chuckwalla said:
I'm totally new to this but I was wondering if having a radio was required in some areas like depoe bay, im guessing it's good to have for safety purposes but just wondered if it was needed for contact with the marina. Sorry if this is obvious just figuring it out. Thanks.
Ch 80 to CG leaving and coming back in at Depoe!

G
Gulfstream
Looks pretty flat!

bass
bass
Great job Roger! I love watching takedown videos!

Reactions: rogerdodger
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Chuckwalla said:

I consider a radio an essential item for all ocean and near-ocean outings. At Depot Bay, the "hole" (under the 101 bridge) that connects the bay with the ocean is narrow and turns enough to restrict visibility. You are required to announce your intention on Ch80 and receive clearance from either the harbormaster or CG. Powerboats pass through one at a time, kayaks can go in groups. It is fairly casual/simple on good weather days but really important under rough/stormy conditions.

Reactions: Chuckwalla
C
Chuckwalla
Thank you for the information.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Gulfstream said:
Looks pretty flat!

you got that right, not so flat on Monday but still nice. and only a few kayaks and powerboats out.

coho poke!
y28z4pc.jpg

Reactions: Chuckwalla
Casting Call
Casting Call
Well that's barbless for you. It was on fire for lings and salmon the Sunday before. It was a-log jam with all the yaks. and Rec. boats. All inside the buoy. At least 50 limits caught by large and small boats (yes! yaks too) Coho still holding for more fresh water to flow. Heard schools waiting for Spencer Creek to flow. Tony

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
for sure, it was crowded, the GoPro wide angle doesn't show but there were kayaks and boats all over out there on Sunday. After I lost the first coho out past the bouy, I followed some powerboats to 160FOW and wasted an hour out there, before working my way in and getting my fish at 120. I did all my trolling outside the whistle bouy but there were plenty of people getting into them closer to shore.

Casting Call
Casting Call
Today I played fish checker at P.C. at about 2:30 pm lots of bottom limits and salmon limits. Was told that totals were much higher earlier in the am. Cloud over helped the surface bite. Fish still holding close to shore. F.Y.I. the fish and chips were tops at the market place. Tony

Markk
Markk
rogerdodger said:
I consider a radio an essential item for all ocean and near-ocean outings. At Depot Bay, the "hole" (under the 101 bridge) that connects the bay with the ocean is narrow and turns enough to restrict visibility. You are required to announce your intention on Ch80 and receive clearance from either the harbormaster or CG. Powerboats pass through one at a time, kayaks can go in groups. It is fairly casual/simple on good weather days but really important under rough/stormy conditions.
Roger what radio do you use and what is the cost?
Thanks
Marl

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
I have an ICOM M36 that I got about 5 years ago, very happy with it, I think the M37 has replaced it now, about $150.

https://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/marine/handhelds/m37/default.aspx
Standard Horizon HX851 is also popular with kayakers that I know, it has DSC (Distress Signal Calling), closer to $200.

http://www.standardhorizon.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=85&ProdID=1558&DivisionID=3
Uniden is another option, you can get in at just over $100:

https://uniden.com/products/submersible-handheld-two-way-vhf-marine-radio

Reactions: Markk
Markk
Markk
Thanks!

Casting Call
Casting Call
Can't beat the Horizon, it floats, reflector strip, and has a DSC. Worked for many a years now. Very happy with it. Tony

Fattie
Fattie

Finally caught my first ocean fish​

A trio of firsts for me yesterday! Well, a quintet of firsts, really. Firstly, my first: my first ocean fish! It was my first rock greenling. Plus, he was my first blue meat fish! Then was my first cabazon (?), and my first black rockfish!
Only the sea trout was a keeper.. the other two had some growing to do!
Big thanks to the city/area of Depoe Bay for ending my ocean skunk!

Reactions: Admin
Admin
Admin
Fattie said:
A trio of firsts for me yesterday!
Congratulations! )

C_Run
C_Run
Nice. That's a pretty greenling.

Top Bottom