Deer hair diameter?

H
halibuthitman
Hey all, ive been tying up a bunch of flies to give as a christmas gift, when I got to tying stimulaters I started tying them as small as I could, mule deer and whitetail hair is just too large in diameter for what im trying to do, should I try to find hair from a different part of a hide? or is blacktail hair typicaly smaller? I don't have any but am willing to go find some if it is... im obsessed with this now.. Ive never tried going super small with dry flies and its getting hard. thanks

M
mlw
I have some "comparadun" deer hair that is pretty fine, although not too long. I think I ordered it from Anglers Workshop, or many fly shops should have it. In Eugene Homewaters has a nice selection of deer hair.
Michael

R
redhawk50
how small are we talking here? I use coastal deer hair and it seems to work good. But I have not gotten below a 16.

H
halibuthitman
redhawk50 said:
how small are we talking here? I use coastal deer hair and it seems to work good. But I have not gotten below a 16.

im using a 3906 that is a no.14, I can tie an elk hair caddis just fine, and ive even done a calf tail caddis on a 16.... but the bulk of the hair just doesn't leave enough room on the hook for a stimulater.... mabe its futile, is coastal deer a finer hair?

R
redhawk50
I don't know if it can be one with deer hair, that is a good question that goes beyond my tying knowledge. I understand what you are saying about bulk and hook room. Let me know if you find anything that works.

R
Rokjak
Fine hair

Fine hair

halibuthitman said:
Hey all, ive been tying up a bunch of flies to give as a christmas gift, when I got to tying stimulaters I started tying them as small as I could, mule deer and whitetail hair is just too large in diameter for what im trying to do, should I try to find hair from a different part of a hide? or is blacktail hair typicaly smaller? I don't have any but am willing to go find some if it is... im obsessed with this now.. Ive never tried going super small with dry flies and its getting hard. thanks

Are these gifts to be used or for show?
I've used tips from my neighborhood squirrels and my old hunting dog. How about Pheasant tail feathers. If for show dose it have to be hair?
I'll go look at my critter collection and see what is finer. Jack L.

R
Rokjak
fine hair

fine hair

Back from the cook house where I tie my fly's. The only thing smaller I can come up with would be guard hairs from a Hairs ear mask, or from a Mink pelt. Not much room on a #16 or smaller hook. I've tied on a #22 but used dubbing and tips of hackle. Need a smaller thread when you get that small. Well good luck. Jack L.

T
Troutier Bassier
Human Hair?

H
halibuthitman
Troutier Bassier said:
Human Hair?

well I will admit the suggestion intreged me... but it sounds like a great way to head down the road of being a serial killer..... so im gonna go with a no on this one!