dark hatchery fish

P
plunkme
do you guys think its better to take a dark hatchery fish out of the system or throw it back?

F
Fishtopher
Wait, I think there is a thread about this somewhere...

Bonk. To all hatchery fish.

K
koboabe
I second that, bonk the SH!T out of that fish

J
JeannaJigs
Bonkage.

T
Troutier Bassier
Hahah, When salmon fishing, Im gonna bring a bat and Bonk peoples fish for $0.25 :)

F
Fishtopher
There is an art to fish bonkage...you can't just walk up and club a fish in the head. You have to knock'em just right, in the right spot, or its pointless.

And I will be giving lessons for $25.

T
Troutier Bassier
Ill bleed fish for a Extra .50

M
Mike123
JeannaJigs said:

LOL.

Another vote for BONKAGE. :lol:
Steelhead seem to always have good meat... Cut it open. If bad, give to mother in law.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Right between the blinkers

Right between the blinkers

Fishtopher said:
There is an art to fish bonkage...you can't just walk up and club a fish in the head. You have to knock'em just right, in the right spot, or its pointless.

And I will be giving lessons for $25.

Wait! You mean clubbing the flip-flopping thing HAS to be done "just right,in the right spot" or it's a wasted fish?! :shock: Okay,give me a lesson,please. :pray: I always figured if you whack it right between the blinkers it's good and bonked. Wrong? :think:
Of course,your fee is void if there's no bonking,right? :D :lol: :lol:
Be safe.
Barb

J
JeannaJigs
Mike123 said:
LOL.

Another vote for BONKAGE. :lol:
Steelhead seem to always have good meat... Cut it open. If bad, give to mother in law.

They do indeed, I've yet to ever get crap meat from a dark steelie, unlike their salmon cousins that start decomposing, the glorified rainbows aren't dying, they're just rejuvenating to head back out to sea to get fatter, and they were put here on this earth to be put on the grill...The thought of which is making me hungry.

F
Fishtopher
Raincatcher said:
Wait! You mean clubbing the flip-flopping thing HAS to be done "just right,in the right spot" or it's a wasted fish?! :shock: Okay,give me a lesson,please. :pray: I always figured if you whack it right between the blinkers it's good and bonked. Wrong? :think:
Of course,your fee is void if there's no bonking,right? :D :lol: :lol:
Be safe.
Barb

If you whack the fish too hard, or in the wrong spot, or in the wrong spot too hard, the fish is dead. Dead means the heart stops beating. That means when you cut the gills, youre basically counting on gravity to bleed your fish, and in most cases, you will still have a lot of blood in the fish when done.

You want to knock him out, or give 'em a good case of the twitches, keep that heart pumpin' when you cut the gills, so it pumps the blood out, and the fish will then die.

Everyone seems to do it different though. Ive seen guys whack Kings 6 or 7 times, until the fish's brains are gravy, and I know a few guys that wont even give the fish a bonk, just cut the gills, and put a rope through its yapper, and let it try and swim away.

You get the online tutorial discount.:D

I
I Grade
This thread is brilliant. I totally don't bleed my fish right. I get all caveman and beat the feces out of the thing to make sure its dead and then cut the gills...the whole blood pumping/blood pressure factor totally escaped me for some dumb reason. I love this forum.

I Grade