Curado 51E

R
ryan808
I got the ever so anticipated tacklewarehoue box today and got to try out the new curado 50 i ordered. WTF, this thing is a piece of crap (sorry if I offend you die hard shimao fans). brand new out of the box this thing was grinding. It sounds like metal grinding/rubbing on the sideplate. Do any of you with curado's have the same problem? I figure with use it'll go away, or did I get a dud. I had high hopes on another real other than my Daiwa's, I guess I was wrong.

C
colbypearson
ryan808 said:
I got the ever so anticipated tacklewarehoue box today and got to try out the new curado 50 i ordered. WTF, this thing is a piece of crap (sorry if I offend you die hard shimao fans). brand new out of the box this thing was grinding. It sounds like metal grinding/rubbing on the sideplate. Do any of you with curado's have the same problem? I figure with use it'll go away, or did I get a dud. I had high hopes on another real other than my Daiwa's, I guess I was wrong.
im not sure but if i remember right my 50e seemed a tad stiff and grindey when i got it but i love it now lol with time it might cure up like mine did!.

A
alseaalumaweld
my revo sucks when i frist got it had to much oil inside it. still sucks but it sucks less now that ive used it a lot

R
ryan808
Thats what I was thinking, maybe it just needs to get worked in. I have a citica sitting in the garage somewhere that I liked, but I couldnt get over the weight so I never used it again. I like the weight of the curado and it feels good in the hand, I guess I'll have to break it in before I make judgement. Lol, I dont know why I so worried, I got the reel for my son to use, he wouldnt even know the difference. If the new Daiwa's werent so dam expensive I would have gotten the new Pixy or the T3. Shoot I at $119, I could have bought 4 curado's to get either of those new Daiwa's. I can't justify dropping that extra dough to gain an ounce of weight.

You up for next weekend Colby?

R
ryan808
You know another great reel is the Lews Tournement Pro, its pretty light and buttery smooth.

T
TurnerBassin91
Hey Ryan, I have been using Shimano and Abu Garcia reels exclusively for years, both make amazing products. First, the Shimano 50e is a finesse baitcasting reel meant for lighter line fishing with small baits, that was the purpose for this reel. So, if you purchased the reel for that application, you made the right choice. I have never owned a 50e curado but own about a dozen 200e's and couple 300's, I have never experienced this gringing straight out the box. As far as the grinding you are explaining, heres a suggestion. The breaking knob next to drag star may be too tight, try loosening it up a little bit and see if that helps. If not, open the side plate and check it out, see if there is anything loose in there causing the grinding. Make sure the side plate is not cranked down too hard either. You definitely have a good reel, maybe something happened in the manufacturing process, it happens. If thats the case Shimano has amazing customer service and they will be delighted to help you out. I hope this helps, I know how frustrating it is when you have gear that wont work right, especially brand new. Good luck, and don't give up on Shimano.

C
colbypearson
ryan808 said:
Thats what I was thinking, maybe it just needs to get worked in. I have a citica sitting in the garage somewhere that I liked, but I couldnt get over the weight so I never used it again. I like the weight of the curado and it feels good in the hand, I guess I'll have to break it in before I make judgement. Lol, I dont know why I so worried, I got the reel for my son to use, he wouldnt even know the difference. If the new Daiwa's werent so dam expensive I would have gotten the new Pixy or the T3. Shoot I at $119, I could have bought 4 curado's to get either of those new Daiwa's. I can't justify dropping that extra dough to gain an ounce of weight.

You up for next weekend Colby?

Yessir if everything goes as planned i will be up that way friday night-sunday!

you can check out my 50e and see what the deal is- you will like the rod its on considering you made it LOL.

A
alseaalumaweld
i like all my curdos. i hate my revo its 200bucks over priced junk

R
ryan808
TurnerBassin91 said:
Hey Ryan, I have been using Shimano and Abu Garcia reels exclusively for years, both make amazing products. First, the Shimano 50e is a finesse baitcasting reel meant for lighter line fishing with small baits, that was the purpose for this reel. So, if you purchased the reel for that application, you made the right choice. I have never owned a 50e curado but own about a dozen 200e's and couple 300's, I have never experienced this gringing straight out the box. As far as the grinding you are explaining, heres a suggestion. The breaking knob next to drag star may be too tight, try loosening it up a little bit and see if that helps. If not, open the side plate and check it out, see if there is anything loose in there causing the grinding. Make sure the side plate is not cranked down too hard either. You definitely have a good reel, maybe something happened in the manufacturing process, it happens. If thats the case Shimano has amazing customer service and they will be delighted to help you out. I hope this helps, I know how frustrating it is when you have gear that wont work right, especially brand new. Good luck, and don't give up on Shimano.

I have a Sol and a Fuego I use for finesse fishing, but wanted to try something new. I have no doubt the reel is good, but that grinding noise just turned me off. I try to take it to one of the tackle store in town and see if they can check the reel out, ha may be they swap it out for me if its defective.

C
colbypearson
ryan808 said:
I have a Sol and a Fuego I use for finesse fishing, but wanted to try something new. I have no doubt the reel is good, but that grinding noise just turned me off. I try to take it to one of the tackle store in town and see if they can check the reel out, ha may be they swap it out for me if its defective.

my 50e is mounted on that custom you built i threw on some 12# fluoro and was fishing it wednesday man it felt epic! i love that long handle you put on that rod for crankbaits and ripbaits it is perfect no joke hahaha.

R
ryan808
alseaalumaweld said:
i like all my curdos. i hate my revo its 200bucks over priced junk

I almost jumped the gun in getting the premier, lol you comment makes me feel better.

A
alseaalumaweld
15 year old curado are better in everway then a brand new revo. id like to trade my revo for a new curado. if i could find someone dumb anuff to make the trade

R
ryan808
colbypearson said:
my 50e is mounted on that custom you built i threw on some 12# fluoro and was fishing it wednesday man it felt epic! i love that long handle you put on that rod for crankbaits and ripbaits it is perfect no joke hahaha.

Im curious to see how it held up, lol I know you put a betting on it. I should have double-triple wrapped that rod, know it was going to you. I go some shikara blanks I want to build up, Ill wrap them for next week and will want your feedback.

C
colbypearson
alseaalumaweld said:
15 year old curado are better in everway then a brand new revo. id like to trade my revo for a new curado. if i could find someone dumb anuff to make the trade

i traded an old bantam curado atleast 8 years old at the very least to a guy the other week for 50$ worth of baits haha it was still a good reel!

C
colbypearson
ryan808 said:
Im curious to see how it held up, lol I know you put a betting on it. I should have double-triple wrapped that rod, know it was going to you. I go some shikara blanks I want to build up, Ill wrap them for next week and will want your feedback.

awesome i will check them out! pretty excited to get up there and have some fun!!!! i have lots of experimental baits!

A
alseaalumaweld
u make a bad trade colby

C
colbypearson
alseaalumaweld said:
u make a bad trade colby

hahaha no i already have three curado 200 e7's and a 50 e, and a citica 200d and those shimano spinning reel things that rarely see daylight.... shoot all i fish is jigs and swimbaits anyways LOL, im working on getting a cardiff 300-400 now.

ryan u got a pm. :)

A
alseaalumaweld
i see

C
colbypearson
alseaalumaweld said:

i hear the new curados went down in quality greatly! the g series new for 2011 feel like plastic i hear. i guess im gonna have to get the chonarch's instead of curados now lol.

A
alseaalumaweld
lol copy