Coos Bay rock bass action

PK Yi
PK Yi
I wish I have a boat to go out in the open ocean for bigger rock bass, but I don't. I have an inflatable raft, and I take out in coos bay - sticking near the shore just to be safe. people look at us like we're lunatics, but it works and it's fun.

here's a video of our last outing on 8/18.

I'm sure there are thousands of ways to fish for rock bass, but this is how I setup my rig:

gear: 6'6" medium light rod. 10# braid line, 14# mono leader line. #4 baitholder hooks.

bait: curley tail grubs. scented with pro-cure anise crawfish flavor (I'm sure any of your favorite scent will work).

technique: no secret here, we were just jigging around. the bite was really subtle - since they are pretty small. I'm sure the bigger bass in open ocean have a more aggressive tug. but here, once you feel a slight jerk, set the hook.

I set my weight sinker about 2.5 feet to the 3-way swivel. then tie on my hook to the swivel ~ 8 inches long. I like to keep my grubs off the ground so it's in the strike zone.

again, they are small, but fun as hell. hopefully, I can buy a boat soon and get out in the ocean for the monster bass.

cheers.

Last edited:
C_Run
C_Run
Hey Sammy,

I scouted the north spit area a few months ago for possible kayak launching and found the BLM launch. Is that where you put in? Looks like another fun trip for you.

C

PK Yi
PK Yi
yup, north spit boat ramp. then we just pier hop like crazy bunnies.

good fishin'

C_Run
C_Run
How big are the biggest ones you got?

PK Yi
PK Yi
biggest one was 1.67 #. the rest were around 1#.

C
CoastalMoe
Love the video... Thanks for sharing...