Chinook and steelhead heaven

Aervax
Aervax
image.jpg

With 5 days scheduled off specifically to go fishing I was in heaven last week. That much time dedicated to angling just does not happen for me often anymore.

The boys and I had a full day booked for Chinook with Hawg Hunter Guide, Bill Gaither. He took us plunking below Bonneville. The fishing was insanely good, at least it was compared to my past King fishing adventures, guided or unguided. We went 10/15 on the day. Several Nate Coho were released. We did get a 10lb clipped Coho, WHICH WAS DELICIOUS!

I lost the biggest fish hooked that day, nearly boatside just out of reach of the net. I got a bit cocky telling Bill the fish was ready and to get the net. He tried to tell me to give it more time, but did I listen? Hell no. I thumbed the drag to get the beasts head up and started dragging it to net. Of course it wasn't ready. It flopped and got its head under, promptly after which the lure came out of the water and back at us at Mach 5. If it had hit anyone they would have been impaled to the dam screw eye.

Bill examined the lure and confirmed what he tried to tell me all along. The hook was straightened out. I had horsed him into a quick release!

I would like to say that is the last time that will ever happen to me, but .....

Anyway, the week was a phenomenal success. I will be tacking on more stories and pics from the various outings here, as I am able.

Tight lines! Eric

Aervax
Aervax
image.jpg

Here is Jason getting ready to unhook his first Steel, about a 7 pound Nate. His dad and I have been bass fishing together for nearly 20 years. It was great to have them up from California for a bit of salmon and steelhead mayhem.

Jason nailed this fish in my second most favorite hole "somewhere" on the Deschutes. If you happen to recognize those particular ripples on the water or that green tuft of grass please keep the location our special secret. Haha.

We had been fishing all day with nary a strike. Around 3:30 we were digging deep into the box for anything that might work. I finally found the right one. It was a nice bright pink XXXXX. Our special little secret if you know what it is. Third cast I was swinging it across a tail out at the back end of a deep chute. Bam! First steel of the day. 8 pound Nate.

I got out of the run and headed downstream to share the knowledge with my pals. It was a smart aleck move on my part, should probably have my butt kicked for doing it - I positioned to end my next swing about even with Jason. Fourth or fifth cast and bam. Steel went airborne multiple times right in front of my fishing pal.

Does sharing lures with one's pals help to make up for that crappy behavior. I felt a little bit guilty, but wouldn't call my mindset "repentant" by any means. I would do it again, gladly.

At that point I dug into my box and outfitted all 3 of us with that special little lure, a XXXXX. Jason promptly nailed his first Steelhead, another nice Nate. From 3:30 til dark we finished at 4/4. No hatchery fish, but no matter. Our hearts were full while at dusk by river's edge we nipped from a flask in celebration.

I am sure that hardcore Steelheaders would not view 4/4 between 3 guys as a a big day. Being novices to the species, for us it was truly an epic outing to be relished and remembered for a long long time.

Aervax
Aervax
Mike and Jason with gorgeous Nook.

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
E
eugene1
Awesome!

Seems like you used the time off to the fullest.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
excellent...

T
TimberTodd
That looks like it was a great vacation.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
It couldn't possibly get much better than spending time with friends, family AND fish! :D

T
troutmasta
Heck yes!!! Nice job!

C_Run
C_Run
Nice story. I can't imagine fishing for five days straight.

Aervax
Aervax
Another fish story from the week off work that can be tacked onto the thread.

Mike and Jason needed to be to the airport by 11:00 on Saturday morning. We agreed to force ourselves to get up early, again, in order to bank fish along I-84 on our way to the airport from Hood River.

Slinging hardware from the bank of the Columbia trying to catch anything other than bass or shad is no easy proposition. It may be teaming with fish now, but reaching the right water at the right depth, speed and angle is challenging when casting across the current. Expectations were low.

The first couple of spots close to Hood River did not bring a strike. Next we headed for what I term "Bonneville Banksie Bar" because there are always so many guys fishing the bank there. It is the gravel bar on the south shore a mile below the dam.

Darned if I didn't miss the exit while yacking on about fish and other topics. The next opportunity to turn around was way down at Multnomah falls. Keeping the airport in mind as the endpoint we did not want to backtrack. So the next bank suitable for casting to salmon from shore was getting close to Corbett and Troutdale. With just 30 minutes left it seemed to be now or never, so we pulled over and gave it a shot.

I tied on a 3 way barrel swivel with 3/4 ounce slinky and a size 5 blue fox on the end of the leader. It was the one with a green bell and pink tipped blade that is kind of popular for steelhead this time of year.

I had no idea what the depth was, but it was plain to see that it dropped off very abrupt. Cast and count to 10 for 3 throws. Probimg for the right depth, or the bottom; whichever would come first. Cast and count to 15 for 3 throws. And so on until I got to 30. I could not believe that I still was not hitting bottom!

It was on the count to 30 on the third cast when I finally bumped bottom and reflexively set the hook. Bottom snag in what must have been 80 feet of water. whoop. Whoop. WHOOP! That bottom snag was rising through the water column and heading away. My little Steelhead reel drag started screaming for mercy.

The first run was big. More than half my spool was gone. The second run took me down to my final 20 feet or so of line. I tightened the drag a tiny bit and lightened pressure to more of a coax. Over the next few minutes the fish inched back into my safety margin and the fight was on.

A little bit like my ex wife, the beast of a Chinook (Definitely a King or Queen like fight) used the lay of the land and strong current to taunt and bully me. I was no longer losing line, but I was still losing the fight. The fish was headed down current for some old pilings that were 20 feet off shore. Half my spool was out, so there was no realistic chance of redirecting. Chasing it down the bank was the best option. I did my best to walk, reel and keep some tension on the line. Somehow it all came together and we beached that King. She weighed in at 18# after being bled and gutted.

Sometimes one gets lucky enough to be at the right place at the right time when the stars and planets align in your favor. This catch seemed extraordinary to me. I never would have thunk it, an 18# Nook in 80 feet of water with a spinner from shore. That probably will not repeat, though I do plan to try.

Reactions: rogerdodger
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
sweet.

Aervax
Aervax
Honest fisherman? Haha. The best liars tell the truth just often enough to lure everyone into swallowing the biggest whoppers ever, hook, line and sinker.

C_Run
C_Run
You're the man, Aervax! We just drove that highway back from the Pendleton Roundup. Miles of fishing, I wouldn't know where to start. Good job!

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Damn, Dude! You are in a zone all of your own! Congrats! :worthy:

E
eugene1
Very cool!

Aervax said:
Sometimes one gets lucky enough to be at the right place at the right time when the stars and planets align in your favor. This catch seemed extraordinary to me. I never would have thunk it, an 18# Nook in 80 feet of water with a spinner from shore. That probably will not repeat, though I do plan to try.

1 nut in the water
Nice work Eric!
I look forward to returning again but this time you gotta show me your secrets!

B
brewer
Epic stories what a great time.

Aervax
Aervax
Many great stories and memories were made during that week. On various days I fished with friends from the Gorge, California and Utah. I took a local husband and wife team out for their first Steelhead outing. He landed an 8 pound Nate within 15 minutes of starting. She hooked one we never got to see because in the excitement she fell down in waist deep fast water. The fish got off. She got too cold to keep at it. But, they had a good enough time that they hustled out the next day to buy rods, reels and tackle. They went out on their own that day and landed another Nate. Now monies they had set aside for more windsurfing equipment is being pilfered for waders and lures and so on. I got to see several beginners catch their first steelhead. That is one of the cooler memories.

B
brewer
Nice job getting some newbie's hooked on steel. I hope to take a couple parent kid combos out for fall salmon this year and get some kiddos hooked on it. Five years ago my friend did that for me and I hope to do the same for some others.