bass
Most Featured
Two trips ago I caught a 5lb 0oz but yesterday I topped that with a 5lb 3oz, 21in GIANT!!

The day did not start out all that great. I fished the first spot pretty hard and only managed on 6" bass. This is the spot where I caught the 5lb oz two trips ago and pulled 15 and half pounds off of last trip, so I was a little worried. At the next spot the I started to catch fish and the size started to increase, but very slowly
I did finally manage a 2lb 7oz of that spot which made me feel a bit better.
After that, I stripped off a bunch of layers, tossed them in my truck and pedaled upstream to hit some of my favorite spots in that direction. The first stop produced a couple of pounders but nothing special. Then I got to what turned out to be the spot for the day. It is a hump that has 60' of water on three sides and 30' of water on the fourth. It tops out at about 15'. It is usually a good spot and yesterday it was a great spot.
Once again things did not start out well. I hooked a good fish eat my wobblehead right away but as it was digging down to the bottom and I was pulling straight up on it the hook pulled out. That is pretty unusual, but I did have my drag screwed down really tight.
I picked up a few on the wobblehead including a nice 3lb 10oz beauty, but then missed a couple more bites on the wobblehead when I thought, "Maybe I should try something else".
I put down the wobblehead and picked up my drop shot rod (with a roboworm) and on the first cast I felt a thunk. I set the hook and I knew this was a good one! The drag was ripping but I finally worked it close to the kayak and reached for it with my net. That made the fish dive down and pulled out some more line. I decided I needed to reel it in a bit before trying to net it again but in the process of swithching hands and putting down the net I knocked my bail open. What a MORON!! Luckily, that fish was pretty whipped by that point and did not take advantage of my generosity. When I finally got my net under that beast I felt lucky. I knew I did not deserve to land that fish!
That turned out to be the 5lb 3oz bass I opened the post with. Fortunately my luck was stronger than my ineptitude on that one!
I fished that spot for a while longer and picked up a few more bass on the drop shot and added a 3lb 12oz to my bag. The day that started out as dinkfest was turning into a pretty awesome day!
Eventually the bite died down and I headed up to another favorite spot. That spot also produced well on the wobblehead and drop shot and I added a 3lb 1oz and 2lb 10oz to my bag. I also ran into a friend who has a good YouTube channel (Tommy Milsap, https://www.youtube.com/@tommymilsapfishing). We chatted for a bit and fished near each other for a while and each caught some nice bass. Just perfect!
Eventually, the wind kicked up pretty good and it started getting late in the day so I decided to head back and fish a few spots on the way there. I was re-fishing the spot where I caught my big fish when a bassboat stopped upstream a ways from me. The just drifted down until I could have hit them with a cast when I asked them if the could not drift down on me. Guys were kind of jerks. They wanted to fish the spot I was on I guess they thought they could push me off of it. Nope!
I fished one more spot after that. It was a spot that had someone on it when I was heading upstream so I did not get a chance to fish it earlier. I ended up catching 6 decent bass off that spot but I also lost one that looked to be about 4lbs when it jumped and spit my dropshot back at me. I was bummed of course, but I could not be too mad. I think I used up all my fish landing luck on my big one earlier
Anyway, I ended up with 30 bass on the day. The best 5 went 18lb 3oz and 94.5". Water temp is down to 67F and visibility was at least 10' (I could easily see the bottom in 10' of water).
Here are some pics and video:



Have you ever seen a prettier smallmouth! I think it was a professional model


The day did not start out all that great. I fished the first spot pretty hard and only managed on 6" bass. This is the spot where I caught the 5lb oz two trips ago and pulled 15 and half pounds off of last trip, so I was a little worried. At the next spot the I started to catch fish and the size started to increase, but very slowly
After that, I stripped off a bunch of layers, tossed them in my truck and pedaled upstream to hit some of my favorite spots in that direction. The first stop produced a couple of pounders but nothing special. Then I got to what turned out to be the spot for the day. It is a hump that has 60' of water on three sides and 30' of water on the fourth. It tops out at about 15'. It is usually a good spot and yesterday it was a great spot.
Once again things did not start out well. I hooked a good fish eat my wobblehead right away but as it was digging down to the bottom and I was pulling straight up on it the hook pulled out. That is pretty unusual, but I did have my drag screwed down really tight.
I picked up a few on the wobblehead including a nice 3lb 10oz beauty, but then missed a couple more bites on the wobblehead when I thought, "Maybe I should try something else".
I put down the wobblehead and picked up my drop shot rod (with a roboworm) and on the first cast I felt a thunk. I set the hook and I knew this was a good one! The drag was ripping but I finally worked it close to the kayak and reached for it with my net. That made the fish dive down and pulled out some more line. I decided I needed to reel it in a bit before trying to net it again but in the process of swithching hands and putting down the net I knocked my bail open. What a MORON!! Luckily, that fish was pretty whipped by that point and did not take advantage of my generosity. When I finally got my net under that beast I felt lucky. I knew I did not deserve to land that fish!
That turned out to be the 5lb 3oz bass I opened the post with. Fortunately my luck was stronger than my ineptitude on that one!
I fished that spot for a while longer and picked up a few more bass on the drop shot and added a 3lb 12oz to my bag. The day that started out as dinkfest was turning into a pretty awesome day!
Eventually the bite died down and I headed up to another favorite spot. That spot also produced well on the wobblehead and drop shot and I added a 3lb 1oz and 2lb 10oz to my bag. I also ran into a friend who has a good YouTube channel (Tommy Milsap, https://www.youtube.com/@tommymilsapfishing). We chatted for a bit and fished near each other for a while and each caught some nice bass. Just perfect!
Eventually, the wind kicked up pretty good and it started getting late in the day so I decided to head back and fish a few spots on the way there. I was re-fishing the spot where I caught my big fish when a bassboat stopped upstream a ways from me. The just drifted down until I could have hit them with a cast when I asked them if the could not drift down on me. Guys were kind of jerks. They wanted to fish the spot I was on I guess they thought they could push me off of it. Nope!
I fished one more spot after that. It was a spot that had someone on it when I was heading upstream so I did not get a chance to fish it earlier. I ended up catching 6 decent bass off that spot but I also lost one that looked to be about 4lbs when it jumped and spit my dropshot back at me. I was bummed of course, but I could not be too mad. I think I used up all my fish landing luck on my big one earlier
Anyway, I ended up with 30 bass on the day. The best 5 went 18lb 3oz and 94.5". Water temp is down to 67F and visibility was at least 10' (I could easily see the bottom in 10' of water).
Here are some pics and video:



Have you ever seen a prettier smallmouth! I think it was a professional model
