Catfishing newbie

plumbertom
plumbertom
Diehard said:
now the secrets out I really like using rotten chicken liver tied up in spawn sacs when I fish the jd
Always fresh liver. My personal experience, from many years of fishing Channel Catfish, is that fresh bait will always outperform that rotten bait myth.
This holds true even for prepared (stink, punch) baits.
A freshly opened package of prepared bait will catch fish at a three to one or better rate than that can of last year's bait you kept in your tackle box.
Many times I've heard the complaint that the fish are tired of or used to a bait that worked last time.
When what is really going on is the bait has just lost some of its ability to spread its scent in the water.

Reactions: Diehard
D
DonF
plumbertom said:
Yeah, and if you want to try a cheaper alternative to chicken breasts, buy chicken hot dogs and soak them in your Kool-Aid.
I know quite a few tournament cat fishers that swear by Kool-Aid hot dogs as their go-to bait when the bite is slow.
I've read a number of time about using hotdogs but have never tried them. Fisrt time reading about chicken hot dogs though! Sort of makes sense though, I mean if they like chcken that well, why not in a hot dog? Watched a video last summer of a guy catching them on McDonalds fries. Cat fish amaze me!

Reactions: plumbertom