Castable fish finder

P
pdxflyguy
Any that folks recommend to use for either shore angling, or dangling off the boat while anchored? Here's a comparison of one brand's models. I also noticed that Lowrance has one of theirs for $100 off.

• 1598414471889.png
PhoFish
PhoFish
I have tried several, though not this brand and have returned every one that I have purchased. Most times I cast it out on the water and the wifi connection between the sensor on the water and the screen device constantly loses connection. The other issue I have is that in order to cast these types of readers out, you need to carry an extra rod or constantly change what you have going on.. most do come with those little eyes that slide up and down your line for easy connection, but i dont like anything extra on my line.

Please let me know how these work out.. I did notice that these were more expensive.. if they are legit, I'm in.

P
pdxflyguy
That’s part of what I was trying to figure out with these things - are they supposed to function as an indicator or are you always taking it on and off or do you use a second rod? Or throw it out and tie a string to it ? Seems like kind of a pain in the ass unless you have it dangling off a boat.

PhoFish
PhoFish
i just bring a second rod... only because the sensor is heavy on the end of an ultralight setup and the snap swivel i put on often doesn't fit.

The other limitation I noticed is that even if I leave it out on the water while i fish.. i would sooner or later tangle it.. especially if I am using it on a river with any kind of current... I have thought about the idea of putting it on a string and then anchoring it to shore, but like you said, seems like a PIA.

So i pretty much gave up on trying to see the contour and fish below until I can get some kind of permanent setup (like a kayak or something) and just went with a thermometer.. but again, same thing - need another rod to cast it out or tie it to a string.. and it takes 5-7 mins to get the reading. I use it in the morning while I setup.. i just need to train myself better to stop fishing and take the water temp. Would be nice to rig something up on the back of my wading boots with a quick release :)

fromthelogo
fromthelogo
I had a Hummingbird unit similar to these about 15 years ago. Needed a heavy action rod to cast it out. I generally didn't find it to be very useful and sold it at a garage sale about 6 months later. I think the splash it made when it hit the water (because it was so big and heavy) scared the fish away.

Admin
Admin
They are fishing for money of those who are fishing. )

I guess it can be used, but for recon - you spend a day creating a depth/structure map of a fishing spot. Later you use the map for actual fishing. But it doesn't make much sense because after a day or two of fishing the spot you will have that map in your head without any hummingbird. I found all spots with underwater logs by losing my lures there. )

Reactions: fromthelogo and PhoFish
P
pdxflyguy
It seems like it might be more useful to troll off a boat. Then you can rope it so it doesn't have to be on a rod.