Carp in Hagg lake?

T
topbloke
Anyone seen any carp in there. May go check it out this week if there are.

D
Drew9870
topbloke said:
Anyone seen any carp in there. May go check it out this week if there are.

I honestly don't think theres carp in Hagg, I have only heard of Smallmouth Bass and Trout being taken out of it.

Do you search around on google maps? Some ponds are only visible on satellite view and wont show up on map view, but it's a good way to find new areas.

Some Suggestions for Carp around you would be, Clackamette Lake (as you probably know), it looks like theres a park on the west end of Lake Oswego, and it's so close to the Willamette is has to contain Carp. Think of it like this for Oregon, if you find a pond within 8 miles of the Willamette, you can be assured there are Carp, the Willamette once flooded greatly, I don't know whether the flood was worse in 96' or a few decades ago, but it helped naturally stock the nearby waterbodies with Carp :D. Kellogg Lake looks like some good float fishing from Google Maps, and I doubt it's closed to the public by looking at the location. I'm going to PM you another location that I just found on Google Maps, close to you, and looks like beautiful Carp water and worth checking legality (fence, no trespassing sign), there are many others, just scout around Maps zoomed in 3/4's the way in Satellite view.

N
n8r1
Drew9870 said:
I honestly don't think theres carp in Hagg, I have only heard of Smallmouth Bass and Trout being taken out of it.

Lots of bluegill too, but they are more present when it gets warmer. I've never seen a carp in Hagg Lake though.

S
SpencerWatts
there is now a growing population of largemouth and spot hybrid bass in hagg lake as well. there are some other hybrid fish in hagg but are extremely rare. there may be 1 carp that has ever lived in hagg... and its highly doubtful it was ever caught... there is also some catfish but very few. i even once caught a crappy in hagg lake!!!

B
beaverfan
There have been Largemouth Bass in there for at least 30 years. I have never heard of any hybrid Bass being in there at all, where did you get that info from? I have caught many Catfish in there and Crappie as well. Never seen a Carp in there though.

S
SpencerWatts
beaverfan said:
There have been Largemouth Bass in there for at least 30 years. I have never heard of any hybrid Bass being in there at all, where did you get that info from? I have caught many Catfish in there and Crappie as well. Never seen a Carp in there though.

i caught one last year in june of 2009. 2nd time ever fishing there and BLAM a 3 1/2 spot bass =) i think i still have a pic if u want to see ill search my hard drive for it!

B
bassman503
Go to freaken Blue Lake!A billion carps in there! The left side of the lake, you can see them jump everywhere, Go catch them and get rid of them! They're destroying the lake's bottom; turning it all into some mushy mud thing.

S
SpencerWatts
So when carp jump is there belly white with an orange tint? I have been seeing some sort of fish jumping in like 3 feet of super rocky slow running water. And all I ever see is their belly never there side to see the species!

I
INSAYN
I have seen at least a half dozen dead carp floating in the grass back in the arms of Hagg Lake. And last year I'm pretty sure it was a carp that surfaced next to my kayak just outside the mouth of Scoggins arm.

D
Drew9870
Were they Carp or Suckerfish? a lot of people get the two mixed up, hell, some people call anything that feeds on the bottom a carp, like Squawfish.

I bet these are suckerfish people are seeing, almost every place holds Suckers, even some landlocked ponds.

And as far as ''getting rid of the Carp'' I can assure you that any fish Topbloke catches, will be put right back where it came from, Blue Lake seems to be filled mostly with smaller Carp around 8-12lbs. Carp fishermen are just always looking for places that could possibly hold bigger Carp, and Hagg looks like prime water for some 20-30lbers.

Topbloke, how about you try to pull another state record from the same place as the last 25lber (I wouldn't dare mention the name of this lake, probably end up finding them dead on shore), when Scott caught it, it was the only fish he had pulled out of the Lake, so I would imagine theres all sorts of shapes and sizes of carp in there. Yes people, there are state record carp for Oregon, only its a Carp Fishermens Group that qualifies them, not the actual state itself.

Last edited:
M
Moe
So at blue lake, where is the best place to catch the carp, still tring to catch my first carp!!

I
INSAYN
Drew9870 said:
Were they Carp or Suckerfish? a lot of people get the two mixed up, hell, some people call anything that feeds on the bottom a carp, like Squawfish.

I bet these are suckerfish people are seeing, almost every place holds Suckers, even some landlocked ponds.

You may be right. Without both species sitting side by side in front of me, I may easily get them mixed up. :confused:

J
john montana
Hey drew, what is the state record? I have caught two 30s on my fly rod and seen much bigger fish in the Columbia. Curious how big has been recorded.

D
Drew9870
john montana said:
Hey drew, what is the state record? I have caught two 30s on my fly rod and seen much bigger fish in the Columbia. Curious how big has been recorded.

It's between 24-26lbs, not too hard to beat, it was caught by Scott Osmond on ''the Carp forum'', goto the Carp forum and then the forum topic ''Carping Tutorials'' and you will find the whole list and the whereabouts they were caught

T
topbloke
Well that's encouraging. If all those other species are in Hagg lake, it's got to hold some carp as well! I'll have to try it out this summer. I have a two rod license and my wife also has a license, so with 3 rods out there I should hopefully find out fairly quickly.

B
bassman503
When you enter the lake, the left side of the lake has all the carps.

J
john montana
Drew9870 said:
It's between 24-26lbs, not too hard to beat, it was caught by Scott Osmond on ''the Carp forum'', goto the Carp forum and then the forum topic ''Carping Tutorials'' and you will find the whole list and the whereabouts they were caught

That is just the "carp angler group" record. I can't seem to find an official Oregon state record. I fished with Scott when he was out here, great guy. I have caught two carp in Oregon that were 30 lbs. Still looking for a 40 though!

Last edited by a moderator:
T
topbloke
Nice fish John.. You should enter it on CAG