Carp ain't kiddin' around

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
So, the good news is that I'm gettin' kinda dialed-in on carp. Put 5 on the rod in 2 hours yesterday. The bad news is that 4x tippit is officially *not* where it's at if you're planning to bring a 20 - 30" fish to shore... even with a net. All 5 of them won shiny new John Montana hybrid flies for their efforts.

Lesson learned... 2x is best, at least for these super suckers.

J
john montana
4x? you are crazy...2x...borderline! hah...i go 1x for 90% of my carp chasing. You don't tow these suckers in on 4x!

5558148f6c49f373cebece4121aec047_zpscff94ae3.jpg

Glad you are having fun man. they are a blast to chase. No fishing for me for a while...bummer!

FYI, i'll be at Royal Treatment on the 27th at 10 am to talk carp and tie some flies.

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
Ha! Had I been on the Big C, there would have been no question. NoPo ponds aren't exactly blue ribbon territory. I'm just getting my practice on before you invite me out on one of your epic adventures. ;-)

I plan to be there ont he 27th! I give you all the credit for getting me hooked on those bad boys, man. It'll be an honor to shake your hand.

-P

S
steelhead_slayer
All these carp post are pushing me closer to making a trip to try it out.

glad you're getting into them, even if they are snapping you off. Sounds like fun

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
So much fun, steelhead_slayer. I'll be back out for steelhead in 2 weeks but there is nothing like sight-fishing a big fella to get the adrenaline pumping.

@John Montana, nice article in this month's Clackamas fly fisher's newsletter too, man. I haven't been using the dropper method but am going to start, if for no reason other than taking advantage of the "anchor" when getting the fly into position.

All good stuff.

J
john montana
Thanks Pinky...i wrote that for Carp Pro originally. The two fly rig is very effective out here because of how little the clam eaters will actually move. When the fish are more aggressive I go with one fly. I am doing a presentation for the clackamas guys on the 16th, should be fun. the interest in carp has REALLY grown.

Matter of fact, check out/enter the Orvis carp photo contests. grand prize is a Helios 2!!!

My buddy just entered this photo if you feel so inclined to vote:

51db78bc-74d0-46a6-93e8-43ec0af397af_zps94653940.jpg

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
He's a shoe-in for that 'Funniest Photo' award! Mine isn't quite as sexy: http://i.imgur.com/Kt08zZE.jpg

Being out there solo, I don't get many shots of the fish I'm catching... luckily for those guys gunning for that Helios 2. ;-)

I'll just have to wait for some random-draw action to get a shot a that sucker.

J
john montana
you should turn that one in...though one of the upcoming contests is for "craziest location" as well!

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
Well, let's see... I was in a slough last weekend that came stocked with the back-half of a dead kitten that had apparently been lunch to a bird of prey of some sort. Shopping carts & hypodermic needles were also there for the party. I'm not sure if I have the stomach to go back for a photo op. :)

By the way, how does one know if he has a serious addiction to a sport?

J
john montana
It is pretty obvious...the tag line for my "about me" page on my blog reads:

I used to be a respectable angler...now I fly fish for carp.

hah hah...

Top Bottom