Camping trip on the Deschutes

R
RDB
In two weeks I will be camping at the Deschutes River Recreational Area and with my family and wanted to do some fishing for trout. The question I the only set-up I have right now to catch trout is a 5'6" ultralight with 5lb line. Is that going to be large enough to fish the river or do I need some different gear?

F
FlyBum
There is a lot of water in the "Deschutes River Recreational Area" what part of that will you be in? Don't know much about that gear fishing stuff, just don't use bait!! If you'll be in the lower part of that 100 miles or so, say the lower half you may by accident hook into a steelhead in that case you'd probably be done quick. I'd suggest getting a 5 weight rod with a reel and line. Then fish some gold stone nymphs with a caddis pupa as a dropper, then when you see fish rising tie on an X-Caddis and cast about 10 feet above where you saw the rise. Just a suggestion and have fun camping and fishing :)

Reactions: n8r1
R
RDB
Yeah Flybum I have a flyrod on my list of Christmas presents that I gave to my wife. I have wanted to give it a go for a while and finally said that I was going buy a set-up. I am going to be on the east side of the river in the campground, our site sits right next to the river (hopefully not in the river right now!). Right now can I wet wade the river or do I need waders? If I need waders is it better to get hip waders or chest waders.

brandon4455
brandon4455
a lot of the fish are close to the bank and wading isn't lways needed from what i hear. but it's nice to have them.

B
Big3d
the water should be fine for wet wading but truthfully you don't need to at all, which campground are you gonna be at?

Reactions: OnTheFly
L
lilsalmon
I think waders are very useful there...even though it is hot, hot, the water is still pretty cold...course on the deschutes I spend hours in the water.....if your tent camping make sure your tent is very sturdy as the wind there will rip it apart and send your papertowels strung all the way down river. Watch for rattlesnakes and have fun.....its an awesome place to be.

R
RDB
I am tent camping at the recreation center. My site is right next to the river.

F
FlyBum
RDB said:
I am tent camping at the recreation center. My site is right next to the river.

Is that the one in Maupin next to Bakeoven Creek? If so, you are selling yourself short. There are a lot better options then that.

R
RDB
No, it is the site off of I-84 close to the mouth of the Deschutes.

F
FlyBum
Now that we know which region you will be at, I would recommend fishing for STEELHEAD! Forget trout down there chase the Salty Breath! There is so much water on the D that for a more direct answer it helps to be more specific :)

P
palenque2012
The guy said he has a 5'6" ultralight??????? Go for steelhead huh

Reactions: OnTheFly and lilsalmon
F
FlyBum
palenque2012 said:
The guy said he has a 5'6" ultralight??????? Go for steelhead huh

I don't know about that gear crap.

R
RDB
So I got back from my camping trip. For the three days I was there I got to fish for about an hour. Oh well, the kid had a lot of fun. I caught about a 10" trout but that was about it. It was my first time on the Deschutes and it is was a beautiful river.

Reactions: OnTheFly
F
FlyBum
That's great hope you get a chance to explore the wonderful Deschutes River more :)