Camping etiquette

T
TTFishon
Since there's an etiquette thread on fishing I thought I'd start this thread on camping etiquette after my experience this weekend. When I'm at my place of interest and searching for a camping spot I will go onto the next spot if someone else is already there. I have never camped right next to other campers that I do not know. We were meeting some friends at Wickiup this weekend and experienced some rude campers, IMO. My buddy had a place with his stuff set up and while he was out getting firewood other campers came in and staked a claim at the spot my wife and I were to get. I'd understand if the place was packed but it wasn't. Why would people do this? This is only the second time I've camped in the Dechutes Arm. Is this normal camping behavior in the Dechutes Arm? I have never experienced this in my 22 years of camping at the Davis Arm.

K
kornphlake
If you we camping in one of the developed sites, its first come first served, no bones to pick there. Many of the campgrounds have a couple primo sites that fill up quickly regardless of how close they are to neighbors. If you were camping in an unimproved or rural/road side camp it would seem a little strange that someone would want to camp right along side you, since those are the sites that tend to get a little rowdy.

S
SNDSLGR
By the rules I think there are no saving spots.

Hell with the rules, yes it was rude and no I can't believe they did that. Complete BS imo and had it been me, they would have found another spot and been happy about it. :mad:

Now if some a-hole is trying to hold multiple spots for their pals and the place is filling up thats different. I really hate trying to go camping (relax) and deal with this type of sh%t, takes the fun right out of it for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bass Man
Bass Man
Sorry to hear about that Ted. Some people just don't have any consideration towards others. Since the place wasn't packed or filling up quickly they should have moved on to another spot. I personally enjoy some distance away from other campers that I don't know. Once again..sorry it happened.

J
joesnuffy
Looks like everybody agrees on this one. Those ppl were jerks. If the site isn't' full, stay away from everybody else's spot.

Troutski
Troutski
Ghost campers...

Ghost campers...

Ghost campers have been the norm for decades in Central Oregon.

Chuck

D
Derek
Personally my whole idea of going camping is to get away from people not camp next to them. I would be kinda pissed to

Bass Man
Bass Man
Derek said:
Personally my whole idea of going camping is to get away from people not camp next to them. I would be kinda pissed to

So true Derek:clap::clap: To get away from people...be one with nature:lol:

D
Derek
Oh yes be one with nature. Well as long as I got beer and a fishin pole:D

Bass Man
Bass Man
Derek said:
Oh yes be one with nature. Well as long as I got beer and a fishin pole:D

I doesn't get any better than that:lol:

R
rainman
My camping etiquette is common sense. Be reasonably quiet, sleep at night, awake during daylight(except for naps). And to follow the Campers Code, which says simply to take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints.