Cackamas River, Sandy River? Coho? Chinook?

F
Fishpdx
they year is ending and I didn't even get into hooking salmon , my goal was to catch a chinook or coho this year, so I fished mc iver on clackamas river for steelhead and caught 2 during spring, I know chinook make it there too, was wondering if chinook or coho are already there, what is your favorite lure to catch chinooks right now, also wanted to fish sandy river where should I go ? I've fished for coho on eggs and spinners in washington (lewis river) . But chinooks are my top priority right now, is meldrum any good? Just wondering what's working for you guys.

D
DrTheopolis
There are no hatchery chinook anywhere in the Willamette system (pretty darn sure). There are a handful of wild fish left from long-defunct hatchery programs.

If you want to get into hatchery coho on the Clack, stay below Eagle Creek.

Reactions: Fishpdx
F
Fishpdx
DrTheopolis;n599316 said:
There are no hatchery chinook anywhere in the Willamette system (pretty darn sure). There are a handful of wild fish left from long-defunct hatchery programs.

what about other rivers? coastal rivers ,

B
burlafisherman

Below the creek? Where would that be?

B
burlafisherman
I went to Eagle Creek two days ago and the water is very high and rough. Didn't put my line in the water at all.

B
burlafisherman

Also would that be just a hike down the clackamas where eagle creek meets the river, or you have to drive somwhere else? Thanks!

D
DrTheopolis
I meant anywhere from the confluence of the creek and the Clack, to the mouth of the Clack. The hatchery coho are coming from the Eagle Creek Hatchery.

You can hike above Eagle Creek (from the park), but can't really go below without some sort of boat.

D
DrTheopolis
Carp;n599339 said:
what about other rivers? coastal rivers ,

The coastal streams I know of with hatchery coho are the North Fork Nehalem (enjoy your 5000 new friends) and the Trask (enjoy your 10,000 new friends). As far as fall chinook -- I don't know if they even stock fall chinook in coastal streams any more, since they don't really need to (and wild stocks are just a much better idea), but they don't have to be hatchery-marked to keep them on most streams (as always, check the regs).

Reactions: Fishpdx