Broke my reel (in an unexpected place)

D
Drew9870
Fished the Salmon River in tidewater yesterday and today, mainly tossed spinner with the occasional bobber and bait, no luck yesterday, but today was a different story.

I was running my 12ft Carp rod and a #6 Blue Fox when I got hammered, most of the fight was close in (found out in about 3 minutes it was foul hooked in the back :(), I would pump and reel him to the surface and everytime I go to make the last pump, back to the bottom, finally, with 50lb braid, I put the horse on him, the rod tip was coming close to 180 degrees from the rod butt pretty damn much, after pumping like that for about 4-5 pumps, my reel decided to SNAP!!! right in the middle of the stem where it comes to join the rod, after about 5 minutes of this, the chip in the top ceramic eye of my rod cuts my line (I still got the fish keep in mind). The Salmon was still ''taking a breather'', 2ft of 50lb braid was still floating, I wanted my lure atleast, I quickly stuck my rod next to the line and starting swirling the tip, knotting it perfectly around the tip of my Carp rod, allowing me to swing the line over to my buddy so he could quickly pull it up and unhook it, success (not really), 28lb bright Chinook, foul hooked, released, and worse of all, FIN-CLIPPED AND RELEASED!!! :lol:;).

All in all, I just laughed off the broken reel and joked around with the older folks on the bank, mostly enjoyed that part of the day.

Here's the aftermath, my old baitrunner reel (dried egg goo, not rust). Gonna take advantage of the lifetime warranty on the rod and atleast replace the top section, and email the reel company about how much I love their products and yaddayadda along with letting them know what happened... With the pic of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
P
plumb2fish
SNAGGER!!!!!!roflmao....j/k Sounds like a fun fight at least

D
Drew9870
:lol:

It sure sucked, I was pretty stoked until it surfaced, then I just wanted to get it done and over with. 75% of the bankers at the Salmon are corky plunkin, not my kinda thing, I'd run only bait if it wasn't infested with Sculpins, Smolt, and occasional Sea Run Cutts.

The way the fish was runnin me back down, I joked with one of the older guys on the bank saying "I think I got a Halibut by the way it's fighting" :lol:.

Last edited:
A
alseaalumaweld
weld it together

A
alseaalumaweld
how was the flossing croud down on the salmon?

R
RunWithSasquatch
Im surprised it didn't rip a guide or two off.

A
alseaalumaweld
never thought of that reel comes off and starts ripping guides off haha

S
steelhead1
Clowns at the circus! What a show:lol:!Sorry about your reel bro.

A
alseaalumaweld
Clowns at the circus! haha i like that

M
Mad dog
alseaalumaweld said:
Clowns at the circus! haha i like that

50 lb. braid on that reel? No wonder it broke!

Drew, it sounds more like you were trying to rope a calf than fight a fish! I doubt it was the reel that was defective!

A
alseaalumaweld
haha

F
Fish-N-Chips
That sucks bro. I am sure they will fix you up no problem. You fishing above or below the hatchery?

A
alseaalumaweld
12 foot rod i hope its below. the rivers not ever 12 feet wide up around the hatchery

N
nwkiller
Mad dog said:
50 lb. braid on that reel? No wonder it broke!

Drew, it sounds more like you were trying to rope a calf than fight a fish! I doubt it was the reel that was defective!

was thinking the same thing

A
alseaalumaweld
trying to rope a calf. cattle up ha

D
Drew9870
I sure hope I was below the hatchery, being I mentioned I was in tidewater :D;). Above the hatchery is an absolute zoo, atleast under the bridge behind Rose Lodge, 10 people on one side and 10 on the other, all giggin a plunked corky, they set the hook on anything that even smells like a line bump lol, most of the fish are dark Chinooks or just native Coho, but the fish are so spooked that it is just about impossible to get a bite on bait. Guard Rail has had maybe 1-2 fish the few times I went there this year, others holes above tidewater have had fish, but not the type that get all hostile towards spinners and plugs lol, more of the lazy type, but I'm not gonna run a line across the whole river for them to run into like everyone else, sad thing is, those people get wayyy more fish than I do, mouth hooked and not.

I guess I am just noticing the Spring run is more bank maggot friendly, seems like Fall Chinook is more of a boat thing, not on the Salmon River but in general.

Last edited:
A
alseaalumaweld
salmon river is a joke osp need to ban 9 outa ever 10 people there from ever fishing agin. not that there even fishing all snaging and flossing

F
Fish-N-Chips
Drew9870 said:
I sure hope I was below the hatchery, being I mentioned I was in tidewater :D;). Above the hatchery is an absolute zoo, atleast under the bridge behind Rose Lodge, 10 people on one side and 10 on the other, all giggin a plunked corky, they set the hook on anything that even smells like a line bump lol, most of the fish are dark Chinooks or just native Coho, but the fish are so spooked that it is just about impossible to get a bite on bait. Guard Rail has had maybe 1-2 fish the few times I went there this year, others holes above tidewater have had fish, but not the type that get all hostile towards spinners and plugs lol, more of the lazy type, but I'm not gonna run a line across the whole river for them to run into like everyone else, sad thing is, those people get wayyy more fish than I do, mouth hooked and not.

I guess I am just noticing the Spring run is more bank maggot friendly, seems like Fall Chinook is more of a boat thing, not on the Salmon River but in general.
:lol: I like the "No Snaggers" spray painted underneath the bridge there at Rose Lodge and that is all that is going on there.

D
Drew9870
Irony isn't it? :lol:

That tagging cracks me up, it's about as useful as posting a sign at the Sandy Cedar Creek Hatchery that says, ''No Flossing'' :lol:.

The corky plunkers are turning the river into a giant cluster-fluck, those fish live a life of being spooked pretty much.

18406ej
18406ej
I am sorry about the equipment failure-- I had never considered that point of the reel as being one that takes so much weight, but I guess it is. I hope the manufacturers of the rod and reel will be good to you; you deserve it after your ethical release.