Breitenbush River trout fishing

P
pancakesnarfer
How does the Breitenbush river fish this time of year? Looking to head down there for a winter fishing trip. is bank access good? what water discharge level is too high for fishing?

Blue Lines
Blue Lines
Last time I fished it was in late July/early August and I struck out hard. Out camping there for two nights, and this was my first time back since the fires. Aside from a few Kokanee I didn’t even see a fish (no hits, nothing). I fished up by the hot springs, the middle river, even down close to the lake and turned up zilch. Convinced it could just be me I took a quick drive to the upper Santiam (above the lake) and caught a decent trout on my second cast. Three days on that river and absolutely nothing.

The Breitenbush has never been the most productive river for me (unless they *just* stocked it), but I’ve never struck out like that before. Who knows, it could have just been me. If you do go please be safe (I imagine it’s cold and high right now) and report back on what you find.

F
frontierhistorian
I was there late last month. Lot of snow I w on the ground and fast moving water. I parked at a bridge and tried nymphing on both sides with no bites. Of course, I'm a novice fly fisher.

Reactions: Blue Lines
P
pancakesnarfer
Blue Lines said:
Last time I fished it was in late July/early August and I struck out hard. Out camping there for two nights, and this was my first time back since the fires. Aside from a few Kokanee I didn’t even see a fish (no hits, nothing). I fished up by the hot springs, the middle river, even down close to the lake and turned up zilch. Convinced it could just be me I took a quick drive to the upper Santiam (above the lake) and caught a decent trout on my second cast. Three days on that river and absolutely nothing.

The Breitenbush has never been the most productive river for me (unless they *just* stocked it), but I’ve never struck out like that before. Who knows, it could have just been me. If you do go please be safe (I imagine it’s cold and high right now) and report back on what you find.
Went up there about a week ago and caught nothing, threw spinners, drifted worms, and other bait. the river was moving fast but it was definitely fishable. pretty clear too but didn't see a single fish in the 4+ hours i was there

M
mattsavage
Blue Lines said:

My experience on the North Santiam above the lake was similar to your Breitenbush.... This was back in late October. Zero fish for a whole day and a half of fishing. Saw some massive zombie salmon up there though, maybe that was part of it, salmon presence were pushing the trout out of the holes? Or maybe those arms just dont have many trout anymore. Would be cool if they reintroduced bull trout up there.

Next time i'm tempted to fish that area, I might just hop over to Quartzville.

Last edited:
Reactions: olshiftybiscuits
O
olshiftybiscuits
All of the Santiam tribs above the reservoirs hold trout, but they’re tough places to fish in cold weather. When the water is high and under 40 degrees, you can work your butt off all day and never see a fish. In my experience, it’s not really worth the trip until the weather warms and the fish get moving.

I fished Quartzville last week when the flows dropped a bit and it was a serious slog.

P
pancakesnarfer
olshiftybiscuits said:
All of the Santiam tribs above the reservoirs hold trout, but they’re tough places to fish in cold weather. When the water is high and under 40 degrees, you can work your butt off all day and never see a fish. In my experience, it’s not really worth the trip until the weather warms and the fish get moving.

I fished Quartzville last week when the flows dropped a bit and it was a serious slog.
did you see any fish when you were up at quartzville? I went up there last week when it was low and I fished for 3+ hours and didn't even see a single trout

O
olshiftybiscuits
pancakesnarfer said:
did you see any fish when you were up at quartzville? I went up there last week when it was low and I fished for 3+ hours and didn't even see a single trout
Not a single one either! And there were plenty of bugs hatching, it was a beautiful day. Should have at least been a few noses poking up.