Borden Special fly for Bluebacks (Sea-run cutties)

troutdude
troutdude
Moderator
Wondering how many of my fellow fishermen/women have utilized the Borden Special, to catch Bluebacks (Sea-Run Cutthroat) trout? If you have any experiences with that fly, I'd enjoy hearing about it.


1761756570344.jpeg
 
  • Like
Reactions: bass
Yes, they are effective. I usually don't fly fish but I bought a handful of those from the guy in Albany and have used them in tidewater a time or two.
 
  • Like
Reactions: troutdude
C_Run said:
Yes, they are effective. I usually don't fly fish but I bought a handful of those from the guy in Albany and have used them in tidewater a time or two.
Mitch is a great guy. I've known him, since the mid 70's. He worked at Anderson's Sporting Goods back then. Where I would go for fishing gear, swimming gear, backpacking/hiking stuff, wrestling shoes, my first (and maybe second pair) of original Nike Waffle Trainers. I bought one of the very first pair of those Nike's in the Fall of '74, to run on my cross country team. Only TWENTY bucks! LOL
 
I have found it effective in higher water, but for general use I prefer more traditional patterns.
 
When I used to FF the Wilson for SRCs I often would have a Borden's special tied on at some point during each trip.
 
  • Like
Reactions: troutdude
It's a go-to for fly fishing SRCs. I also pick some up in a fly shop that has them in stock, since that's not always the case.
 
  • Like
Reactions: troutdude
troutdude said:
Wondering how many of my fellow fishermen/women have utilized the Borden Special, to catch Bluebacks (Sea-Run Cutthroat) trout? If you have any experiences with that fly, I'd enjoy hearing about it.


View attachment 641268

I would guess most everyone who has fished for sea runs in Oregon knows and uses this pattern. It’s the second most popular sea run pattern after the reverse spider. Works great if the fish are actively feeding in the top six inches of the water column, but not the ideal fly if you need to get a little deeper on a sunny day in the estuary.
 
  • Like
Reactions: troutdude

Similar threads

W
Replies
8
Views
707
StillCreekSam
StillCreekSam
R
Replies
9
Views
3K
olshiftybiscuits
O
R
Replies
5
Views
2K
C_Run
C_Run
Grant22
Replies
4
Views
2K
bass
bass
L
Replies
6
Views
4K
lukereif06
L
Back
Top Bottom