Boater caution on the Mac

Y
Yogidabear
I made a float wednesday from leaburg to greenwood and had a couple of close calls, the first one was at the drop zone the water is at least 6 inches lower , I tried to go through the shute that's near the slide. big mistake, I got stuck on the rocks there and with some effort and a nice scratch I made it through. next time I will row up to the dam and go around the right side.

Second spot was 3 rapids above greenwood right below the frog water on the right side shute which is the one I have been using, there is a rock just below the surface about 50 feet into the rapids that stopped my boat cold. It made the back end raise up high enough that we almost most took water over the bow, My front passenger was close to going over board, I had to do a spin move to get out of it. Pretty scary when your not expecting it. glad we were both wearing pfd's.

I saw one fish caught up high from the bank mint bright 8 lb fish and another from a husband and wife team. also saw three chinook jumping but nothing for My buddy or I. It seams pretty slow considering this should be close to the peak. maybe they didn't get the memo.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Scary waters are the norm right now. Good to hear you both had pfd's and made it home for dinner with your families! :pray: Thank you for the report, it may help save someone from a nightmare trip.

hobster
hobster
Always wear PFD's! Glad you guys made it through ok. I was the 1st person at the meat hole at 5am and fished till about noon, there weren't a lot of boats so I probably saw you go by. I was the dude with long hair - there aren't a lot up there:lol: Bonked a chromer before 6 but it was slow after that. Been a slow year for sure, but the numbers are going up a little.

J
joem
yeah the chute by the slide at the dam just had that rock you hit pushed in there a few years back when we had a major flood. whoever decided big boulders by a boat launch was drunk. and the one you said you almost flipped go all the way to the right down that chute and stay right dont go into the middle those big rollers can splash your boat. if you have any other questions about that run PM i have been floating it for along time and my dad has to, he even used to do drift boat races.

T
Tred
Floating it twice a week and seems like there are days the bite is on for an hour and if you are not there in that time it is tough. Been able to pick up at least one with multiple fish days happening in the last week. This low water seems like it really has the fish more spooky than years past. Natural baits seem to be the ticket most days. Keep at it you will hit it right and have one of those magical summer steelhead days.

F
fishingduck
Boaters/floaters should avoid north channel of McKenzie River below Walterville Boat Landing

The Eugene Water & Electric board is warning boaters and other McKenzie River recreational users to avoid the north channel of the river immediately below Walterville Boat Landing due to potential low water flow across the utility’s rock drop structures.

Also known as “chevrons,” the structures direct water into the Walterville Power Canal. As the water volume diminishes through the summer months, the rock drop structures in the north channel could make for difficult passage.

Boaters and floaters should use the south channel at Kaldor Island (go left at the island) if they plan to continue downstream. The north channel should be used only if boaters plan on taking out at the Walterville Boat Landing, which is just upstream of the chevrons.

EWEB installed the first three chevrons in 2002. Three additional structures were built in 2006.

–end–