Boat problems

plumbertom
plumbertom
I have a problem with the drain in my aluminum boat.
The tube has been crushed on the outside where it looks as if it was once either dropped off a trailer or dragged over something.
The tube from inside the boat has gotten crushed by the battery when it shifted.
I used a tubing tool (I'm a old plumber) to re shape the tube so the plug would fit but it seems like the weld has cracked where it was welded to the hull.
I need someone in the Eugene area that could repair the weld and maybe replace the tube.
I am gonna try and find a replacement tube and I'll do all the cleaning to get the area ready to apply the weld.
I have to minimize the cost as much as possible, being on SS. Not much money to pay for the things I need.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Hope you can find someone down there. I'm sure you don't want that to fail while you are on the water!

plumbertom
plumbertom
Well the transom tube was easy enough to find. Less than $10 from Amazon.
Now I just need a skilled welder locally.

G
Gulfstream
craigslist

F
fish4life
They have aluminum brazing rods at hardware stores, all you need is a hand held propane torch. I have never done it but seen videos of it done and looks like it is pretty easy.

Bake
Bake
Any Trade Schools?

plumbertom
plumbertom
fish4life said:
They have aluminum brazing rods at hardware stores, all you need is a hand held propane torch. I have never done it but seen videos of it done and looks like it is pretty easy.
Yeah. I have some of those and they ain't exactly as advertised.
It's not as if I haven't the skills to use the rods as I happen to be a retired master Plumber that has done many a brazing jub and even wiped joints with lead. But different thickness of aluminum makes getting the heat right for both the metal to be brazed and the rod next to impossible. You'll almost alway end up burning away the thinnest of the aluminum without getting the thicker hot enough to make your rod run.

would an epoxy putty like marine-tex work for this repair?

P
pinstriper
Shot in the dark, but Koffler is in your neighborhood. They don't advertise as a general boat repair shop, but they aren't limited to just boats and they do custom work. It's worth giving them a call and asking them nicely if they would do the job or recommend someone who does.

plumbertom
plumbertom
You're the second recommendation for Koffler boats.
They aren't far from me so maybe I'll run over and have a talk with them about the cost to do the repair.
Unfortunately, my hearing impairment prevents me from just giving them a call.

plumbertom
plumbertom
69198 said:
would an epoxy putty like marine-tex work for this repair?
I've done that using JB weld.
While it stops the leak mostly, in order to cover the area as needed, it makes it very hard to get the transom plug in and out.
It also leaves gaps around the plug for water to seep in. Not a big problem and my little pump quickly pumps the water out (along with the other seepage that you get in an old riveted aluminum boat) but I fear that one day it will give way completely.

Irishrover
Irishrover
I've us the aluminum brazing rod on irrigation pipe. At least for me it didn't do the job. Had to take the pipe in have it done right.

That is a critical spot and needs a good weld. I think you are right to have it welded.

plumbertom
plumbertom
I finally got the welding done at Knoffler Boats.
They were quick to get it done and only had my boat there overnight.
The weld was well done and the fill in where the boat hull bottom had been slightly damaged over the years was better done than I expected.
Reasonable price to do the work as they charged me less than one hour labor.
I did the prep work myself to save labor costs.
Yes, I know I'm a canary SOB.
Living on fixed income will make you that way.

Reactions: Aervax