Bluegill length

I
igquick
On the left is a 5 inch bluegill, how long do you think the right is?
20190617_212531.jpg

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
I'm gonna go with 8"

EOBOY
EOBOY
9"

troutdude
troutdude
Is this a magic trick? Cuz the one on the left, is a swimbait! LOL

bass
bass
I have to ask if the fish is laying flat on your hand or if your fingers are bent and you are using perspective to make the fish look bigger. If the fish is flat then I would say it is 8-9" if you are trying to trick us I would guess it is 6-7" :)

EOBOY
EOBOY
to me that looks like a lure! I have one just like it! My thought was it was a know size, which gave the perspective.

I
igquick
Screenshot_20190619-104339_Gallery.jpg
i'm going to say the biggest 1 is around a 9, since it was clearly bigger than this 8 incher pictured here...I don't see it passed 9 though...my hand is 8 inches long, fingertips to middle line is 5 inches, middle line to wrist is 3 inches...

All in all just trying to catch the Oregon record bluegill

Next question, are all these bluegill or redears?

bass
bass
Definitely not a redear, it is missing the red that is behind the black dot on the gill plate (from which redears get there name). Bluegill, redears, and green sunfish can cross breed so it could be a hybrid. I would guess that is considered a bluegill though. You made me look up which sunfish live in Oregon though.

I think the pumkinseed record is most vulnerable since it is less than 1/2lb. Bluegill is 2lb 5.5oz and Longear at 1lb 15.5oz both seem pretty hard. The fish in your picture is probably about 1/2 pound. That is about the size pumpkinseed you need to go down in history! Best of luck!

Also, not sure where you are fishing but all state records must now be caught from public waters. It is interesting that the pumpkinseed record that is there would not be able to be submitted today since Lake Oswego is not open to the public. I think the Largemouth would also not count but I am not positive there.

Bass, Smallmouth
8​
1.762005Henry Hagg LakeNick Rubeo
Bass, Hybrid White
19​
122014Ana ReservoirChad Meadows
Bass, Largemouth
12​
1.62002Ballenger Pond, SpringfieldB. Adam Hastings
Bass, Striped
68​
01973Umpqua RiverBeryl Bliss
Bluegill
2​
5.51981Farm PondWayne Elmore
Catfish, Bullhead
3​
72001Henry Hagg LakeBob Judkins
Catfish, Channel
36​
81980McKay ReservoirBoone Haddock
Catfish, Flathead
42​
01994Snake RiverJoshua Kralicek
Catfish, White
15​
01989Tualatin RiverWayne Welch
Crappie, Black
4​
01978Lost RiverBilly Biggs
Crappie, White
4​
121967Gerber ReservoirJim Duckett
Perch, Yellow
2​
21971BrownsmeadErnie Affolter III
Perch, Sacramento
0​
11.21998Lost RiverJonathan Cogley
Sunfish, Green
0​
111991Umpqua RiverJohn Baker
Sunfish, Pumpkinseed
0​
7.681996Lake OswegoLinda Mar
Sunfish, Redear
1​
15.51992Reynolds PondTerence Bice
Walleye
19​
15.31990Columbia RiverArnold Berg
Warmouth
1​
14.21975Columbia SloughJess Newell

I
igquick
I've lost the oregon record pumpkinseed a few times, and someone else lost it that I brought with me...pretty sure the same fish...

1st time, I hooked her, and she came off when I tried to flip it onto the bank

2nd time, I flipped her on the bank, and she flipped back into the water

3rd time, someone I took out hooked the fish, and it came off when she tried to flip it lol

Not only that, I know someone else that has pictures of 1 from a different lake they catch every year...I told them about the record and they didn't even know about it

J
Jackson
igquick said:
On the left is a 5 inch bluegill, how long do you think the right is?
Nice I’m about to go to Portland soon and lakes near or around you would recomend

Joffurson
Joffurson
I definitely watched a guy break the bluegill record in Henry Hagg a few years back. I was fishing from the shore over by orchard ridge and a guy showed up with his wife and cast his rig out with a nightcrawler on the bottom while he set up his wife's pole. Within a minute his pole was tearing off towards the water. He ran after it and grabbed it and one of the most epic tussles I've ever seen followed. The look on his face was unforgettable and after about 10-15 minutes (on probably 8-10 pound gear) he pulled in a bluegill literally the size of a dinner plate. Thing couldn't have been under 3 pounds and was so fat it was practically circular. I'm sure he had no clue it was a record breaker and took it home to eat. Not that it'd matter much with how much of a hassle it is to register a fish in this state. I'm sure a lot of the records are only as low as they are because the process around here is too much of a pain for most people to bother with it.