Black tail deer, Saddle Mountain unit, fishing options?

P
psguardian
I will be in the unit for a week this deer season & wonder if their are any fishing opportunities. I know the nehalem & fishhawk are closed for hunting season. Does that hold true for all area waters? I have seen a good many unnamed streams/creeks on google maps, but i'm unsure what regs would cover them.

TIA
~psguardian

G
GDBrown
Try Lost Lake above Spruce Run Park which is on the Nehalem River.

LostLakeClatsopCounty.jpg

This is from yesterday and there is bank access around the lake.

GD

P
psguardian
Found the Reg I was thinking of...

ODFW said:
Nehalem River:
1. Mainstem upstream from Miami River-
Foley Creek Road bridge including
tidewater
• Closed upstream from Hwy 26 bridge located at Elsie Sept. 1-Oct. 31.
Since the Saddle Mountain Unit is North of Hwy 26, those sections of the Nehalem that I will be near are closed for the months of September & October.

Here is another question, since the Nehalem is closed north of Hwy 26, does the above Reg supersede the Fishhawk Lake Reg entry?

ODFW said:
Fishhawk Lake (near Birkenfeld on the
Nehalem River
, Columbia Co.)
• Open for trout May 28-Oct. 31, 2 trout per day, 8-inch minimum length.
• Angling restricted to artificial flies and lures only May 28-Aug. 31.

Due to the section I've underlined I'm very confused.

~psguardian

P
psguardian
Ok I called ODFW, Fishhawk lake & creek are exempt from the Nehalem closure. Might be close enough to hit that place up. We'll see.

~psguardian

G
GDBrown
Lost lake is south of Hwy 26 but only 8.4 miles from the highway to the lake.

I
igot_it
Hey GD I heard that Fishhawk was a private lake without much access. It looks pretty undeveloped from the pics you showed and those were nice fish! Is that true on the access?

I
igot_it
Oh sorry you said lost lake....my bad.

H
halibuthitman
Fish hawk is a private lake.. bummer

G
GDBrown
It is private but I have a friend who owns a cabin there and I have fished it a couple of times for trout. It was C&R when I was there. Not sure what it is currently. I'll check and see. I may try and hunt up behind his place in the next week or two. His property backs up to state forest property if I remember right.

GD

Edit: the current regs show it is open until the end of the month with a 2 fish 8 inch limit....
There is a location near the dam where you could launch a pontoon or float tube easily, I put the drifter in with no problems. If confronted tell them your friend Keith Hubbard suggested you come here!

Last edited: