Big ol' springer!

H
Herefishyfishy
20130428_130237.jpg
Started trolling the Willy under UofP at about 6am yesterday with my wife. about 6:20 my rod slams down and the drag started screaming! The result was the big girl in the pic, 35.5" not sure of the weight but a couple people thought around 30 pounds. About an hour later the little one came on board. 2 other takedowns but missed them. All in all an awsome day! I was getting short bit a lot this year with about 8 takedowns and nothing to show, then I read an atrticle in STS about burying the trailing hook in the herring near the tail. All I can say is the picture says how that worked out!

M
Metz84
Nice Hawg! Congrats!

T
todd_brooks
Wow nice job we had a get together yesterday and had two drive bys for 8 rods and about 17 rod hours total for those 8 rods. Heard there was 1 fish for 65 boats at the take out. So you rocked it!
Flasher or no flasher?

T
troutmasta
SLUG... i fed one like that to the sea lions yesterday, even hooked it to a string for em.

E
eugene1
congrats on that beast!

Were you using a flasher? If so what kind and color?

Best,

H
Herefishyfishy
Sorry to leave you hangin. I always run a double flasher setup out there. Big one in front and a small one in back. I like the half yellow half red for the big one and yellow or blue for the small one, I've been getting at least 2 takedowns everytime out. I start out by curing my herring with Brine and Tight natural, add about 2 extra tbls sea salt, 1/4 cup powdered milk, 2 squirts Mrs Stewarts liquid bluing and about 2 tbls of krill oil. I make sure I have a nice tight roll on the herring and like I said I've been getting hit a lot but not hooking up until Sunday which was the first time I started burying my trailing hook , first takedown and fish on. The article I read said that the centrifugal force could be causing that hook to be pushed away from the bait and it made sense to me! I'm no great fisherman by any means but this stuff seems to be working for me and hopefully it will help you guys out!