Big K Guest Ranch & Outfitters

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
First trip of the year to Big K, the day use fee is now $35

We fished Rapp Bar for the first time, by far the easiest access, only river rock bank they really have, but it's also very busy and very pressured.

I stopped counting at 50 fish, but it wasn't much more than that. On average they were smaller than some of the other locations

My biggest was 18", 3lbs 7oz, came early morning while I was slow rolling an Alabama Rig

Definitely some good holes out there, one small one about 20' across but 27' down

And another by the lower rapid that's much larger and pushing over 30' deep, with trees mixed in.

I caught one on a keitech jig that still had a Ned rig in its mouth, a keitech paddletail, and threw up a crawfish.

• InCollage_20220708_200450340.jpg
  • 20220708_135940.jpg
  • 20220708_130009.jpg
  • 20220708_122633.jpg
  • 20220708_122701.jpg
  • 20220708_111115.jpg
  • 20220708_103538.jpg
  • 20220708_103512.jpg
  • 20220708_081603.jpg
  • 20220708_091420.jpg
Reactions: Diehard, fromthelogo and Admin
E
elmucho
Ha! I must have just missed you I fished Rapp Bar both Thursday and today, Saturday! The first day I was there I fished that spot because I asked Sarah which spot had the slowest water - it was my first time there and I'm very inexperienced on rivers so I wanted the simplest place to fish - Rapp Bar was it. I am familiar with those spots you described - lots of fish in them - a couple other spots I found as well, seams between fast and slow moving water that held fish. My favorite were the "moving water" smallies that held behind rocks in the current - those seemed to fight the hardest.

I ended up fishing it from 8am 'til about 4pm on Thursday and from 8am 'til 1pm today (was just too tired from driving to Eugene airport from Waldport at 1am) and I pulled A LOT of fish out of there - man if that's "pressured" I would LOVE to see what some of the other spots are like. I had a great time and was totally blown away with the quality of fishing (I fished fly rod and surface flies 99% of the time.... through some Z-man plastics just to see what it was like but went back to topwater fly rod after a couple fish). I started with a larger foam popper but they seemed to want a smaller, lighter landing fly so I switched it out for a fly that looks like a downed dragon fly - long rubber legs - let it sit, give it one slight twitch and BAM it was on!

My largest fish were four at 18" and one just a hair over - super fun to catch on a 6wt rod and on a couple I could see them come up, inspect the fly and then slurp it in. Exciting to say the least.

When I got there today, I asked if there were other spots that would be appropriate for me and the lady, Kathy, said that the one "down in front" of the lodge is a bit faster water but there was a wedding going on there so I couldn't access it. I would love to hear about your experience at the other spots - just so I could know if they are appropriate for me and what I'm paddling (Hobie i11s inflatable kayak with pedal drive).

What an awesome spot that it - can't wait to get back and fish it again.

Reactions: fromthelogo
E
elmucho
On inspection I think that was my Ned Rig in the mouth of that smallie! Did you catch it at the hole you described by the lower rapids - back corner hole? I caught two fish on that Ned Rig before it snapped - then went back to fly. Ned Rig seemed to be pretty effective way to fish though.

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
elmucho said:
On inspection I think that was my Ned Rig in the mouth of that smallie! Did you catch it at the hole you described by the lower rapids - back corner hole? I caught two fish on that Ned Rig before it snapped - then went back to fly. Ned Rig seemed to be pretty effective way to fish though.
We are paying tag with the posts here

But yes she came from that back hole at Rapp bar!

We just need to find the keitech owner!