Better preformance?

N
normanbeats
I have been conflicting sides on what is better fresh roe or cured, and scent heavy pro-cure vs homade borax no scent cure. What are your stances on this. The fellow at the wholesale sports fishing section said just a sprinkling of borax, another friend said borax and brown sugar. I know I'll end up using all of them within 2.5 weeks so spoilage isn't really a factor. I'm thinking maybe cure half, leave the other half fresh.....?

J
JeannaJigs
I have never ran fresh eggs, it seems to me they wouldn't hold up for more than one cast, and wouldn't milk scent properly. I always use cured. I only use borax for steelhead eggs, I use a mix of several store bought cures for salmon with a little of this and a little of that added in.

E
eat, sleep, fish
Typically it's sodium sulfite based cures for salmon, and borax cures for steelhead. That doesn't mean one won't work for the other though, salmon just seem to be chemical junkies.

N
normanbeats
as to holding up, it would be in spawn sacs with eggs and tuna belly.

J
JeannaJigs
I'd still cure, cure, cure...but that's me. You might be on to something though, and hey, it would mean no cured cracking hands at the end of the day.

Reactions: bigsteel
R
RunWithSasquatch
JeannaJigs said:
I'd still cure, cure, cure...but that's me. You might be on to something though, and hey, it would mean no cured cracking hands at the end of the day.

My hands literally fall apart.

M
Mad dog
eat said:
Typically it's sodium sulfite based cures for salmon, and borax cures for steelhead. That doesn't mean one won't work for the other though, salmon just seem to be chemical junkies.

Certain cure recipes enhance the roe's ability to attract fish.....Of this I an certain!

One thing is for sure....go natural for steelhead....borax, salt, just a bit of color!

Reactions: bigsteel
A
alseaalumaweld
My hands literally fall apart. haha sounds like you need to tuffin up your hands lol

A
alseaalumaweld
more good scents you can get out and the less bad scent you have, the better you will be. you want eggs to milk out

R
RunWithSasquatch
alseaalumaweld said:
My hands literally fall apart. haha sounds like you need to tuffin up your hands lol

nah dude, its weird, and ****ed up. My entire hand will peal twice, after getting sodium sulfite on my hands. I have to wear gloves.

J
JeannaJigs
Yeah that stuff is wretched. I've never had the peeling so much as the cracked finger tips to the point of bleeding by the end of the day if I go gloveless. The next day at work sucksssss with the hand sanitizer use no less than 100 times. But the fish love that nastiness so ya do what ya gotta do