Better Eater?

J
Johnny Southpaw
Just wanted some feedback as to which is a better eating fish: a winter or summer steelhead? Is there a difference? What about hens vs. bucks?

A
ArcticAmoeba
Bucks always cut better than Hens, and the Winter fish are coming up river in a cold fridge essentially. Fresh Winter Bucks are the best quality meat from a sea fairing trout.

O
OneMore
I couldnt have said it better AA! OneMore vote for winter bucks.

N
nointrntrprts
1 vote for

1 vote for

fresh summer bucks... mmmm.. so much fat.

F
fish_4_all
Fresh winter bucks. Both texture and flavor for me. Summers are still good but lose a little of that strong flavor from my experience.

J
Johnny Southpaw
Thanks guys. So far 3 votes for fresh winter bucks and 1 for fresh summer bucks-sounds like bucks take the cake. Still would like to hear more about winter/summer.

T
Thuggin4Life
Any winter steelhead but a buck taste's a little better but you have to have a keen fish taste to tell the difference. I think a female uses more energy making eggs that takes away from the meat quality.

Last edited:
P
PDXKush
Oh man...I loved the taste of the Summer so I can't wait for some winter.

A
ArcticAmoeba
No doubt Andy! Any scale spitter is going to cut, and eat very well.

S
steelhead_stalkers
I heard that summers pack on more fat than winters because they stay in the system longer than winters kind of like why springers taste better than fall Chinook. Springers pack on more fat because they used to have to go upriver much further. I haven't eaten a whole lot of summers to say one way or another but I do love my winter steelhead!! :)

S
Snagged
I say an early Summer buck is the best tasting fish. The summers have more fat to sustain more time in the river and everyone knows that fat = good. The water temps are still cold so you still get that fridge effect. Plus somehow all the jumping they do makes them taste better.