Best way to cook trout

D
DG1959
Best or favorite way to cook... I like tin foil wrapped with onion, peppers and so forth.

Reactions: rogerdodger
Irishrover
Irishrover
Cast iron skillet, bacon on the side, trout with light flour salt and pepper coating, fried potatoes with onions, and fresh hot coffee. A morning meal to remember.

Reactions: PhoFish, Markk, Ballgame and 1 other person
B
Bill
Smoked!
Sprinkled with brown sugar and refrigerated over night.

Reactions: Browntoe
B
BrandonBeach
Hot cast iron skillet with smoking hot crisco, catch the trout, quickly clean and scale, run to the skillet, roll trout in corn meal on the way, salt and pepper and sear quickly on both sides.. almost burnt but not.

serve with lemon

bb

Last edited:
E
Eazy-E
traeger! stuff em with a couple branches of rosemary, smoke around 2hrs. fantastic

Wilsonriverfisher
Wilsonriverfisher
In a pan battered in flour with lemon in middle and some herbs and spices

Diehard
Diehard
Stuff with Cilantro and onion wrap in tinfoil throw in the coals served with a baked potato

PhoFish
PhoFish
cast iron skillet with lemon garlic butter and a bit of salt and pepper, keep it simple I always say.

Reactions: Echskech and DG1959
DOKF
DOKF
Bill said:
Smoked!
Sprinkled with brown sugar and refrigerated over night.
Smoked! Without the sugar! I liberally sprinkle "Johnny's Seasoning Salt", let sit an hour or so, then place in a hot smoker with any mix of alder, cherry, oak, hazelnut, or mesquite wood chips (no bark).

maxwyatt
maxwyatt
salt, lemon pepper, wrapped in tin foil and cooked over a sage brush fire on the river bank.

:)

Reactions: DOKF
DOKF
DOKF
I have used many different smoker designs from a tent of fresh cedar boughs (taught to me by an old friend, Chief of the local First Peoples in my home town), to a plywood box over a buried Hibachi BBQ.

My current smoker from the last 25 years kinda sort of resembles a pellet BBQ without the automation. It was made from an Aluminum barrel keg (residual from my last grad school kegger party) and a discarded stainless wet sink (from a previous semiconductor employer). I had some mech techs help me clamshell the keg and build a door for the firebox (sink). The firebox is connected to the main chamber with 2" pipe and fittings to bring the smoke sideways from the firebox and underneath the racks to provide a cooler smoke for slow cooking.

I use this keg setup to smoke fish, sausage, brisket, pork shoulder, ribs, and turkey. Sometimes cold smoke, but usually just indirect heat kettle style.

A very versatile BBQ smoker.

• WP_20201108_13_01_16_Pro[1].jpg
  • WP_20201108_13_01_40_Pro[1].jpg
  • WP_20201108_13_56_13_Pro[1].jpg
Reactions: Admin
D
Davpot
DG1959 said:
Best or favorite way to cook... I like tin foil wrapped with onion, peppers and so forth.
Years agoI was at a coastal lake and this young man approached me with a 12ā€ trout cooked in tinfoil. He asked me if I wanted some. It was Wonderful. He used salt,pepper,onion,garlic and Butter!
The fish was caught illegally however!!šŸ˜—