Best time of day?

B
bigfootfish
Anyone of you carp experts have some advice as to what time of day is best for carp fishing?

D
Drew9870
bigfootfish said:
Anyone of you carp experts have some advice as to what time of day is best for carp fishing?

Carp fishing can be like Salmon fishing, you might see 200 fish in one spot and not one will bite, you may not see any fish and get hit as soon as you close your bail after casting, having this said, it could be any time of the day, depends on how the fish are feeding on a given day. I don't really pay attention to the time, if I did have a favorite time of day, it would have to be the hottest time of the day, these are usually the days I can coax them to surface feed, which is personally my favorite method, people think it is a rush seeing a 10lb Largemouth snatch a plug in a flash, I find more of a rush seeing a 20lb fish taking its sweet time inching towards your bait, talk about heart failure.

So my answer is the hottest time of day, Fall is usually what Carp fishermen look forward to, the fish are basically filling up as much as possible to not only get energy back from spawning, but also to make it through the Winter as does most life on Earth.

F
Fisher.King
I also haven't noticed a 'best time of day' either, they're bottom feeders and only surface to investigate objects (saw one hit an asthma inhaler once o_O) I'd suggest just going where everyone else is and using the same kinds of bait they do, as it's often frequent carp fishers you see around the mucky ponds. Or scout out the lake you like to fish and remember where you see carp as they will usually return to the same spot over and over throughout the day even after failed hooksets.

B
bigcat1967
I also haven't noticed a 'best time of day' either, they're bottom feeders and only surface to investigate objects (saw one hit an asthma inhaler once o_O) I'd suggest just going where everyone else is and using the same kinds of bait they do, as it's often frequent carp fishers you see around the mucky ponds. Or scout out the lake you like to fish and remember where you see carp as they will usually return to the same spot over and over throughout the day even after failed hooksets.

thx for the info Fisher.King - :)

T
taofishdude
I fly fish for them fairly often, and it seems like its easier to find actively feeding fish in the morning. Not super early, but once the sun hits the water. You can definetely catch fish all day long. The angle of the light makes for optimal visibility in the a.m. or late afternoon.

Last edited:
GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Whenever light is direct and allows you to see the fish if fly fishing - or late afternoon to bait fish.